• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The EL stuff they use for inside buildings (emergency egress lighting) is powered by the lights while the regular lights are on, and after the lights are off, it glows for about 1-2 hours, I don't know if it is the same thing.

Emergency lighting is simply a small gel cell battery to run a 12 volt light. The battery is trickle charged and held in the off position as long as normal power is present. When 110 Power fails and a make contact relay closes and activates the 12 volt light for a long as the battery holds out. When power returns the 12volt circuit once again turns off and is returned to the continuous trickle charging of the 12 volt for future failures.

Alan Light

Reaction score
The EL stuff they use for inside buildings (emergency egress lighting) is powered by the lights while the regular lights are on, and after the lights are off, it glows for about 1-2 hours, I don't know if it is the same thing.

Typically exit lights these days use LEDs, and depending on the building are either on a circuit that will remain powered when normal power goes off, or have a battery in the device.

So no idea how well the electroluminescent tape might work, but it looks interesting.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Emergency lighting is simply a small gel cell battery to run a 12 volt light. The battery is trickle charged and held in the off position as long as normal power is present. When 110 Power fails and a make contact relay closes and activates the 12 volt light for a long as the battery holds out. When power returns the 12volt circuit once again turns off and is returned to the continuous trickle charging of the 12 volt for future failures.
We're both correct, they make and use both types.

http://www.constructionspecifier.com/electro-luminescent-egress-path-lighting/

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Alan, actually, I would say that the Elio is being marketed to both camps, both those who do and do not modify their cars. I say this due to the accessory route that they're taking, the "cafeteria" approach, if you will. Personally, I can't leave my hands off of one of my vehicles; Elio's approach will accommodate both groups nicely. And if you're curious about the aftermarket for a niche vehicle, take a look at what grew up around the Mazda Miata.

Absolutely .... Once the Elio hits the streets , there will be no shortage of aftermarket goodies . In Japan , they spend thousands customizing their 50cc Ruckus scooters . Can you imagine the creations that will be available for the Elio ? Custom modified IROC Elios racing the oval .

Top Bottom