• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio & Motorcycle License

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Maine Autocycle classification was allowed to expire. Currently the Elio autocycle WILL require a motorcycle registration and license or license endorsement. The Elio will not be useable for the road test.

If this is not changed I will be unable to operate the Elio in Maine. I have no means to even travel (8 times) to a motorcycle training school, plus a written test and the road test for a vehicle which - except by definition: 'under 4 wheels' - has nothing whatsoever to do with a motorcycle either in function or in operation.

Frankly I would consider it dangerous for me to operate a motorcycle. I have arthritic related disabilities - it could be irresponsible and reckless for me to do so.

Aging and disabilities suck - having no transportation at all (except a subsidized, one day per week bus) - I will move away from Maine - in order to be able to have this vehicle (perhaps my last vehicle).
Oregon is a good place to live and you won't have to pay sales tax, pump your own gas, or have motorcycle endorsement. LOL All good reasons to live here if you ask me. :-) Z

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Maine Autocycle classification was allowed to expire. Currently the Elio autocycle WILL require a motorcycle registration and license or license endorsement. The Elio will not be useable for the road test.

That is the way the law is currently, having the law reintroduces should not be too hard once we have a sponsor for a bill to do so. I don't see any way a fiscal note would be attached (that's a good thing), and since it was in statute up though this year, Legislators would be likely to approve again if people make it known there is a need for the category..

As soon as the elections are over be on the phone with your local Representative and Senator and request a bill be introduced. I will be doing that in Lewiston. The more Legislators hear about Elio and the need to reinstate the autocycle category the better, the more co-sponsors on a bill the better.

I am happy to help organize here in Maine anyone interested?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is the way the law is currently, having the law reintroduces should not be too hard once we have a sponsor for a bill to do so. I don't see any way a fiscal note would be attached (that's a good thing), and since it was in statute up though this year, Legislators would be likely to approve again if people make it known there is a need for the category..

As soon as the elections are over be on the phone with your local Representative and Senator and request a bill be introduced. I will be doing that in Lewiston. The more Legislators hear about Elio and the need to reinstate the autocycle category the better, the more co-sponsors on a bill the better.

I am happy to help organize here in Maine anyone interested?
The original law I read stated a 3 wheeler could only be driven on roads posted under 45mph. You just might want to go for a better law. :-) Z

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The original law I read stated a 3 wheeler could only be driven on roads posted under 45mph. You just might want to go for a better law. :) Z
Correct, that was the language in LD 152, however Maine BMV representative was clear with me they would use the AAMVA best practices guidelines they did not have at the time of the bill being drafted. It's rare a bill is submitted without direct review involvement in committee of any state agency impacted. I'm optimistic since I know; I'm invested, there is an expressed interest from senior management within Maine BMV, there was an existing category in statute that expired vs being repealed, and Elio Motors wrote back to me that they are working on it too.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, that was the language in LD 152, however Maine BMV representative was clear with me they would use the AAMVA best practices guidelines they did not have at the time of the bill being drafted. It's rare a bill is submitted without direct review involvement in committee of any state agency impacted. I'm optimistic since I know; I'm invested, there is an expressed interest from senior management within Maine BMV, there was an existing category in statute that expired vs being repealed, and Elio Motors wrote back to me that they are working on it too.

Considering Elio Motors worked with the AAMVA to produce the guidelines it sounds like they will covered no matter how this works out in the end. :)

Treborfoot

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I have the power point presentation that Joel Sheltrown, Vice President of Government Affairs made for Alabama House Rep. Alan Farley if someone would like to see it..Joel sent it to me last week..I am not sure if the Forum Supports Power Point but i can email it to those that would like to see it...

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting the law changed should not be that hard in most cases. You just need to find a sponsor and make the case. This is not like trying to repeal helmet laws. We did that in Wisconsin. Once over 18 your are free to do as you like.
Of course the best case would be to do away with helmet laws totally. But that would just muddy the water in ELIO's case and not their fight.
I for one wear a helmet and think your a fool if you don't. But You have a right o be foolish IMO. And the State has better things to do than bother with helmet laws.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have the power point presentation that Joel Sheltrown, Vice President of Government Affairs made for Alabama House Rep. Alan Farley if someone would like to see it..Joel sent it to me last week..I am not sure if the Forum Supports Power Point but i can email it to those that would like to see it...

Could you send me that powerpoint?

If you can't upload it here just shoot me an e-mail at: johnlpainter (AT) gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom