• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors and the BBB

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is an easy answer. Require every electric vehicle sold to a household to also have solar/wind generators with battery backup. Of course that also will be limited by price and availability. It's coming, maybe in 15 to 20 years.
22% of the grid is already being powered by renewables. Those in the know say the grid will be able to handle the electrification of transportation. Imagine the power saved from pumping less gas. :)

1669922537909.jpeg

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And the price of electricity the consumer pays for will also increase.
We were just notified of an increase per KWH starting next year. (Calif.)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And the price of electricity the consumer pays for will also increase.
We were just notified of an increase per KWH starting next year. (Calif.)
Corporate greed, not necessarily as a result of the increased number of EVs on the road. I envision solar powered superchargers and even some affordable home solar EV charging options. Technology will stay ahead of it. Commuter EVs charge during off-peak hours and might help to keep rising cost in check.

1669936746797.jpeg

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Currently most zoning/HOA/apartments etc. wouldnt allow either, some for pretty solid reasons (multiple wind turbines on a roof, solar panels and placement), others do it for aesthetics (HOA's come to mind), which could always be challenged (people are doing this now with the veggie gardens issue). Some just have no practicality (poor location, no sun, no wind, etc.) I am in a 4-6 mph wind zone (USGS mapping), extremely poor for wind turbines, yet the county voted to install a wind farm and switch from natural gas turbines to wind. I do have a turbine and it does generate between 65 and 105 volts at certain times in March, and again in October, but nowhere near enough power to even top off the 12v batteries.

Attachments

• Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI - 1.png
    Screenshot from HPIM0760.AVI - 1.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 84

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another point; The electrical grid can't keep up with demand now, especially in winter. What will happen when everyone converts to electric cars?
We need to factor in the kWh hours saved to drill, transport, refine , store, and pump a gallon of gas.

1669989027687.jpeg

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A few years ago I did an energy analysis comparing gasoline used daily to electricity used daily. As I recall the gasoline was less than 1% of the amount of electricity used.
Just so I understand, if your daily commute in an ICE vehicle costs you $1.00, the same commute in an electric car would cost you 99 cents??

salvadorvieta

Reaction score
I'm new here to the site but I have an Elio reservation since at least 2013 or 2014 I lost track. This is the Elio Owners website but are there any actual owners? Other than some prototipes I don't know of anyone actually getting one delivered. I went to see the website and the log in for reservation holders is gone. I am all in for a $100 and my brother in law is all in for $1000. I've been reading some of the comments and there is only one question on my mind is the Elio ever going to be produced?

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just so I understand, if your daily commute in an ICE vehicle costs you $1.00, the same commute in an electric car would cost you 99 cents??
The analysis had nothing to do with cost. It compared the energy equivalent of the amount of electricity used in a day vs. the amount of gasoline used in a day.

Top Bottom