• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors @ New York Auto Show 2015

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
"forgettable" for "us" maybe, as we know all the basics, but to the rest of the planet, I think it was well presented and very fair

This was what I thought when I read the article as well. To me it was not intended as a negative article but simply a short article quickly discussing Elio Motors and their vehicle.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that I heard PE say (in the video that Charlie posted) that he (PE) anticipates taking 250,000 reservations (PE's projection of the first years production) before prodution even starts?

I also thought the 135mm front tire size was extremely interesting.

For comparison, my 650 v-star has a 130 on the front and a 170 on the back.
My chevy metro had 155's.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that I heard PE say (in the video that Charlie posted) that he (PE) anticipates taking 250,000 reservations (PE's projection of the first years production) before prodution even starts?

I heard that 250K quote as well. Seemed strange. I'm guessing that he didn't mean that he would take that many before production, but I don't know.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I heard that 250K quote as well. Seemed strange. I'm guessing that he didn't mean that he would take that many before production, but I don't know.

I can't find the post, but I think (if my memory serves me, which is a sketchy proposition ;)) that the 250K is the production capacity for the first year, not the number of reservations needed to start production.

Edit to add: Video is blocked at work, so I did hear what he said, just going by memory of what's been said in the past.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

You are correct, I just got to that point, it's about 18:20 in. "Surely" he didn't mean that. (But you don't have to call me Shirley) Maybe he meant that it is a goal of theirs to get 250,000 reservations before production begins. A perfect-world scenario, if you will.

In his defense, he spoke at an international talk show all day long... I'm sure he "mis-spoke" a few times. I know I would. :)

I'm gonna say that Paul would be very excited if the plant cranked out 100k vehicles that first year. Many of us have created estimate spreadsheets and websites that give an estimate of when our vehicle comes out, and we can sure make a guess at the number of vehicles for the first year. We've done that ad nauseum.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He made the same comment about expecting to have 250k reservations before the start of production at St Francis University as well. Whatever his reasoning is, the comment appears to be deliberate. Either he is expecting a big uptick in reservations, or is expecting production to be substantially delayed.

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He made the same comment about expecting to have 250k reservations before the start of production at St Francis University as well. Whatever his reasoning is, the comment appears to be deliberate. Either he is expecting a big uptick in reservations, or is expecting production to be substantially delayed.
He can't delay production past the first half of next year. There will be fines placed on EM for not producing the jobs that were promised. I'm pretty sure this was part of the deal in procuring the factory. For a start up company with funding issues, additional fines could be devistating.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, regardless of whose superlatives may be correct, the bit about 'North America's first and largest auto show comes directly from the New York Auto Shows' main page: http://www.autoshowny.com/

Also, EM has not snubbed Detroit as they were at the even larger Woodward Dream Cruise event in August, in Detroit, which has over one million attendees. :)
But the MEDIA and the world was at the Detroit Auto Show. A much better, controlled environment to showcase a car in my opinion.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Yeah, something is not adding up.

Good point. It is strange, because IMO there won't be more than 70k reservations by March 2016.

Top Bottom