• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I tend to disagree with this statement.
I'm leaning more towards, People wanting more bang for their bucks! Cheap refers to quality, and everything I've learned about the Elio IS quality, therefore not "cheap" by everyday standards.
6800 is a baseline price, though it comes with a lot of bells ans whistles as standard equipment. At this price "most" of the population can afford a new vehicle, and I believe firmly there will be a very long line of people waiting to do so. (Those who chose to wait until the actual production has started that is)

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this car will be mainly (or at least initially) bought by folks who are not looking for the cheapest of the cheap. So may be pricing it as the chepest on US market was a mistake ?

Low cost is definitely a factor for many purchasers. This is especially true for the marketplace that can't afford more as well as for the AND market where getting a second vehicle usually isn't an option due to price.

When I was first introduced to Elio I kept thinking about the 4 tenants and in the end I decided they are all extremely important:

Must Have’s for the Elio Brand:
  • 84 MPG Highway
  • Engineered for the highest safety standards
  • American made
  • $6,800*
If you lose any of those tenants you impact the markets Elio is after. Once EM hits all those, it certainly can pursue higher cost solutions that will have more features and comfort but EM must hit these tenants or they will fail.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this car will be mainly (or at least initially) bought by folks who are not looking for the cheapest of the cheap. So may be pricing it as the chepest on US market was a mistake ?
No. It was a decision by Paul Elio to help people on low/fixed incomes buy a new car that would allow them to keep their jobs. Or allow them to keep their medical appointments without worrying that their car might break down. I have had to rescue a neighbor more than once because her car isn't up to snuff. Any time there is a problem with it she has to decide whether to fix her car or buy her meds/food. Not a pleasant situation. As a person who will definitely benefit from the chosen price point, I cann't consider it a mistake. Thank you Paul Elio, for giving us a chance. :-) Z

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Goofyone, it's been a while since I last checked in and I would say you're doing a good job keeping this site civil.
First of, I've been all in for 1K so I'm with everybody who wants this Elio at the promised $6800.00 Now having said that, do you honestly believe in your heart that it's possible? Here's some lingering questions that I've heard from my buddies who does not think so and most likely will cause more delays in production from 2015 to a much later year. Here's what they're saying:
1) Paul Elio has been saying all along that this reverse trike has "no new technology" with parts readily available right now. So why is it taking this long to get this to production? If the funding is abundant and readily available, it won't take 12-24 months to bring this out! The current P4 design is fine...a little more additional feature to bring it to P5 shouldn't take that long!
2) Elio Motors need to find, buy or lease the 60+ locations all over the country and get them set up even before the first Elio rolls down the assembly line....again money is involved in this huge undertaking! Nothing has been mentioned about this let alone some activities or acquisitions of possible sites.
3) The 1500 employees that needs to be hired and get paid, again money is at the top of the list on this!
I know how much this Elio means to a lot of us and our attraction to this $6800. price is what drove us to commit "all in" but bringing this to fruition AT A LOSS will not play well with investors which brings this back to my original question....do you honestly believe it will happen or are we all be disappointed with yet another delay or worse yet....being slapped with totally different price? Time is never in anyone's side and the longer they wait, the more expensive "this available parts" and salaries will be! Of course, we all say, better do it right the first time than getting a lemon by receiving it early, but the fact remains that there's nothing new to test except the new engine and the reverse trike design! Everything else are proven parts that's been in use reliably in other cars, right? So, is it really the testing that's taking too long or is it something much more serious like funding or the promised $6800. price? I'm currently in for 2 Elios and would gladly pay for that price + the necessary taxes, etc.

I would question two points you have made.
As to the 60 retail locations, these do not all need to be open at day one of production.
Sure, it would be nice but by no means is it absolutely necessary. The best part of having 35,000 reservations is you have work for your plant before you need to start selling to the public. They will not be able to fill orders from retail stores in the next day time frame they have stated as a goal, until they have build all our cars. They will also have to build and ship floor models to these retail centers. There is the whole issue of training the people in these retail stores. You would not attempt to hire and train people in 60 locations in multiple locations, in different states with different laws as to vehicle registration. They will be taking baby steps at first, they are not going to build 200,000 cars the first year.

I would also doubt that they will begin productions with two shifts. First because of the amount of employee training that would be required and the lack of any experienced trainers. Also, that would reduce the up front cash outlay.

Also, many of us about 10,000 will be getting our bonus of $500 off the sales price.

In the video of the plant there were a few people in the plant, I would expect them to be moving and programming equipment. Also, removing the equipment that is being sold. The consultants have planned the production processes, but it would be a reasonable guess that the equipment as it was left by GM when the plant closed is not in the exact places that it will be needed for Elio production. There would be no purpose to having manufacturing personal there until all the equipment is in place. Then the first needed people will the in the parts receiving area. As no cars can be build until all the parts and tools are in stock. The next group would seem the be some experienced GM workers, who will be the "Trainers" for the first production workers. All these things will take time and cost money. Even if they have enough cash, they still have to do things in some sequence. Probably not as I have laid out but it will have to happen in step. Neither Rome nor the first Elio will be build in a day.

The task of hiring and training hundreds of people is mind boggling in scope. They don't have a Human Resources Dept. This goal of 1500 people working in the plant is going to take months at best.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I am looking at the fuel economy the price is just the whip cream and cherry on the top.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking on how that $6800.00 number came about. Not $6900, not $7000 not $6700.

and will they actually be able to deliver a vehicle at $6800?

inflation and delays make this harder and harder as every day passes by.

You cannot buy a new Motorcycle for $6800. so how disappointed would you be if they missed that mark?
Not really sure how they arrived at that figure, but then I am not that concerned if they miss their mark. . . . . . . By a little.

I'm actually thinking the end product, in my drive way will come in at around $7500, to $8000.

That doesn't upset me. . . . . . As you say, life and times are changing by the day, and if you really want to play, you've got to be willing to pay. . . . . . .and if you absolutely can not afford to play, then Ya should maybe reconsider getting involved.

And that, my friend, is my own stupid opinion. :eek: :)

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trust in American seems to have gone out the window. Everyday you hear one thing from the government, a business or etc just to have it turn the other direction. When the price ($6800.00 and 84MPG) is PUT IN YOU FACE as much as Elio puts it out there I'm expecting $6800.00 and 84MPG.
On there web site and all the TV interviews I've seem I haven't heard them say we hope it's $6800.00. Sure I may have missed it when they said it once but if they said it once that means all there other Web. and Interviews about the price is a lie.
I never like going in a store and finding the price of an item is more than they have advertise. Elio should keep with what they tell you.
It's not the extra money (well, for some it is) It's all about being honest with your customers. Up front and being honest will get more sales and satisfied customers for years and years.

[Broken External Image]

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trust in American seems to have gone out the window. Everyday you hear one thing from the government, a business or etc just to have it turn the other direction. When the price ($6800.00 and 84MPG) is PUT IN YOU FACE as much as Elio puts it out there I'm expecting $6800.00 and 84MPG.
On there web site and all the TV interviews I've seem I haven't heard them say we hope it's $6800.00. Sure I may have missed it when they said it once but if they said it once that means all there other Web. and Interviews about the price is a lie.
I never like going in a store and finding the price of an item is more than they have advertise. Elio should keep with what they tell you.
It's not the extra money (well, for some it is) It's all about being honest with your customers. Up front and being honest will get more sales and satisfied customers for years and years.

[Broken External Image]

I tend to agree with this. I will say, that I will not be overly disappointed if they do not meet the $6800 goal. I will still buy my Elio. That being said, I do think that Elio should and is doing everything they can to meet that goal, if for no other reason than PR. They stated their goals. Anything else would be perceived in the public as a failure.
I don't, however, think it has anything to do with honesty. They just may have dreamed a little too big. (Again, I think they will achieve the goal, but if they don't...)

Top Bottom