• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I figure after tax, license, shipping, other local taxes and a few up-grades, realistically your probably looking at about $8000-$9000 out the door. I suppose if your looking just for a commute vehicle only, then probably $8000. with no automatic transmission and upgrades. This is by no means solid information, just a ball park figure based on my previous car buying.
Welcome Val.

Val

Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Val. Did you see the Elio when it was in Sacramento? It is great to see so many new people jumping right in on the conversations. I look forward to reading more from you in the future. :) Z
Well, unfortunately I had walking pneumonia for 5 days and could not make it, I kicked myself several times for not going. Hopefully it wont be to long before its out on the show room floors and I will get to see it as well as take a trail spin in it. Its not a secrete, but I'm 64 years old and I'm beat up riding a motorcycle for over 40 years. I have a few bucket list items and this is now one of them. To buy a Elio, go to Alaska from Sacramento ( taking about 10 days to get there) and enjoy all the comforts at home (Heating ,Air and no elements to deal with) riding in one of these. Thanks for the welcome. PS, hope they don't extend the production date again or I will have to ride a wheel chair to Alaska. HA

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello, I figure after tax, license, shipping, other local taxes and a few up-grades, realistically your probably looking at about $8000-$9000 out the door. I suppose if your looking just for a commute vehicle only, then probably $8000. with no automatic transmission and upgrades. This is by no means solid information, just a ball park figure based on my previous car buying.
Welcome from a former Sacramento resident who retired and moved to sunny New Mexico. Hope you take time to review the forum and learn all about this historic vehicle.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately I had walking pneumonia for 5 days and could not make it, I kicked myself several times for not going. Hopefully it wont be to long before its out on the show room floors and I will get to see it as well as take a trail spin in it. Its not a secrete, but I'm 64 years old and I'm beat up riding a motorcycle for over 40 years. I have a few bucket list items and this is now one of them. To buy a Elio, go to Alaska from Sacramento ( taking about 10 days to get there) and enjoy all the comforts at home (Heating ,Air and no elements to deal with) riding in one of these. Thanks for the welcome. PS, hope they don't extend the production date again or I will have to ride a wheel chair to Alaska. HA
Trust me, deciding to buy an Elio has given me a new lease on life. Think positive and it will happen for you also. This is truly an exciting adventure. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You kicked yourself while having walking pneumonia! You will have another opportunity to see the Elio on tour and perhaps even luck out and do one of the planned test drive tours for reservationists.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WELCOME Val!

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In reference to the "stocking of parts for production". You might be surprised at how little stocking is done in current manufacturing. Many businesses use the Japanese model called JUST IN TIME. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_in_time_(business)

That is absolutely correct. Many moons ago manufacturers figured out inventory is a liability. So they do not stock/stage parts except for the JIT system.
Suppliers/vendors have a different system they have a priority to make sure parts are there when production needs them. They get a schedule of need
and the can produce when they want as long as dates are met. The vendors can also benefit from JIT as long as delivery dates are met.
So there you have it JIT benefits everyone. I have been preaching this for ever.

MaxToreador

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Had a similar thought after seeing the Coleman "glorified hunters golf cart" in the front of our local Wally World. Thing was $7200; but drop the logo tax for the half a dozen of them on it, skip the camo wrap, and rip off all the outdoorsy crap (like the ~$300+ winch) in exchange for standard road gear. All it'd need is enclosed, the safety equip, and 150% more engine... bring it back to ~$7000.

Honestly I'm thinking Elio can more than pull this off, but the 2016 models will be $6800 base though come 2017 model year they will jump to $8000+ just due to demand.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is absolutely correct. Many moons ago manufacturers figured out inventory is a liability. So they do not stock/stage parts except for the JIT system.
Suppliers/vendors have a different system they have a priority to make sure parts are there when production needs them. They get a schedule of need
and the can produce when they want as long as dates are met. The vendors can also benefit from JIT as long as delivery dates are met.
So there you have it JIT benefits everyone. I have been preaching this for ever.
Granted it's the modern way, with many benefits. But Toyota had to halt production when a single supplier was hit by the Tsunami and couldn't provide their component to the plant. Granted, an extreme example, but it shows the risk of having no inventory to fall back on. Penalties don't get the plant up and running.

checho

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I was on the sacramento air show, and got to see the Elio in person, great car I really like the design.
However when testing the seats, the front seat was comfortable, and it could lean back a decent amount not as much as I would have liked, since I am old fashioned and like it when seats lean all the way back, not a partial lean.
however the back seat has a clearance problem, the height of the roof is very low where the back seat is located, so for tall people the back seat is very uncomfortable, hopefully this problem will get fixed before the elio goes on production, otherwise the back seat will be useless for tall persons, it needs at lest 4 more inches in height, ideally a little more.
I am 6'1" and I was very uncomfortable on the back seat, had to lean my head forward creating an extremely uncomfortable position, however the front seat did not have this problem, and was quite comfortable.

Top Bottom