• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycle manufactures cannot hit that goal with 55HP and they have no a/c, no air bags, no roof, no radio,no reverse.
2014 v-star 650 custom = $6990 MSRP.
It's a very easy haggle to get a 2012 or 2013 with close to 0 miles on it for $6250 or even less.
There's a bunch of them just laying around out there gathering dust.
Take $500 and put on aftermarket pipes, jet the thing and put on the right big honkin' air intake.
You've bumped those 40 horses up to nearly, but not quite 55.

No air bags, no roof, no reverse, at least $250 left to spend on a stero system and chrome, and all the air conditioning you can stand.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So you signed on because you have doubts?o_O

I did not sign on because of my doubts, but in spite of my doubts.
I recognized the potential impact of this venture if they came close to their goals.
Would I have signed on if the price was $6900.00? yes
I am not sure at what price I would have gotten cold feet, but at $6800 I did not bat an eye.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First of all about 80% of the part is already is use on the other auto and therefore it is cheaper then create a new part never been use on auto. Elio can buy such a large number of part to be put on the Elio autocycle. One less wheel and rim, 3 less door with power window and lock can cut cost a lot. Less weight. Elio will build autocycle with all standard come with and only option is transmission and of course you pick one of 7 color. His engineering have come up with bright idea to cut cost and able to stay $6800 without over spend. It take a lot of thought to be able stay in the budget without go over, and so some how they stick to $6800 as a plan.

I am just pointing out how ambitious this project is.
To your point almost all cars made for a price point use off the shelf parts to lower costs.
Elio has no more buying power (probably less) than any other manufacturer. (note they have not produced any yet)
the cheapest car you can purchase today is a Nissan Versa at $12,800.00 so to meet the economy you would need about 47% less content to hit $6800.00
The engine and transmission have to be at least 40% of the content cost.
Do not misunderstand me, I expect them to meet the goal but the numbers do not make sense to me with the very little knowledge I possess.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did not sign on because of my doubts, but in spite of my doubts.
I recognized the potential impact of this venture if they came close to their goals.
Would I have signed on if the price was $6900.00? yes
I am not sure at what price I would have gotten cold feet, but at $6800 I did not bat an eye.
I'm sorry but:
doubt (dout)
v. doubt·ed, doubt·ing, doubts
v.tr.
1. To be undecided or skeptical about: began to doubt some accepted doctrines.
2. To tend to disbelieve; distrust: doubts politicians when they make sweeping statements.
3. To regard as unlikely: I doubt that we'll arrive on time.
4. Archaic To suspect; fear.
v.intr.
To be undecided or skeptical.
n.
1. A lack of certainty that often leads to irresolution. See Synonyms at uncertainty.
2. A lack of trust.
3. A point about which one is uncertain or skeptical: reassured me by answering my doubts.
4. The condition of being unsettled or unresolved: an outcome still in doubt.

When in doubt, opt out.:rolleyes:

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am just pointing out how ambitious this project is.
To your point almost all cars made for a price point use off the shelf parts to lower costs.
Elio has no more buying power (probably less) than any other manufacturer. (note they have not produced any yet)
the cheapest car you can purchase today is a Nissan Versa at $12,800.00 so to meet the economy you would need about 47% less content to hit $6800.00
The engine and transmission have to be at least 40% of the content cost.
Do not misunderstand me, I expect them to meet the goal but the numbers do not make sense to me with the very little knowledge I possess.
You seem to be trying to put forth a great deal of knowledge.
You seem to be a very knowledgeable person as well.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the definitions, but I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
When I have doubts about something I do not support it until all doubt is removed.
I would guess that is an old fashioned idea and not practiced much any more.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No matter how smart one thinks of themselves, there is a smarter person right around the corner.
The smartest people realize how much they really do not know.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I have doubts about something I do not support it until all doubt is removed.
I would guess that is an old fashioned idea and not practiced much any more.

I am in Business and see not much anything as black or white, only shades of grey.
If I made decisions only when I removed all doubt I would come up a dollar short and a day late.
I must admit that sticking money out there with greater risk than I like to admit with the only reward of getting what I expect, is
not completely comfortable.

Thanks for being so understanding.

Top Bottom