• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Price Discussion, $6800?

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am in Business and see not much anything as black or white, only shades of grey.
If I made decisions only when I removed all doubt I would come up a dollar short and a day late.
I must admit that sticking money out there with greater risk than I like to admit with the only reward of getting what I expect, is
not completely comfortable.

Thanks for being so understanding.
I was a General Building Contractor for many years and understand your business sense.
As you know Building Contractors take some of the biggest risks out there and if you have doubts about your abilities and those of your crew you should not be in that business.
Thankfully I survived and am now retired.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking on how that $6800.00 number came about. Not $6900, not $7000 not $6700.

and will they actually be able to deliver a vehicle at $6800?

inflation and delays make this harder and harder as every day passes by.

You cannot buy a new Motorcycle for $6800. so how disappointed would you be if they missed that mark?
At that price plus licensing, delivery (no sales tax in Oregon), I should still qualify for the Elio. If the price goes up, I am kicked out of the game at the get go. As my signature line states, I want cruise control, automatic and openable back windows at least and that all adds cost. I'm trying to keep my wish list as short and as low as possible because I very much want an Elio. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am just pointing out how ambitious this project is.
To your point almost all cars made for a price point use off the shelf parts to lower costs.
Elio has no more buying power (probably less) than any other manufacturer. (note they have not produced any yet)
the cheapest car you can purchase today is a Nissan Versa at $12,800.00 so to meet the economy you would need about 47% less content to hit $6800.00
The engine and transmission have to be at least 40% of the content cost.
Do not misunderstand me, I expect them to meet the goal but the numbers do not make sense to me with the very little knowledge I possess.
Nissan also has built in padding in the price to allow for negotiating. Elio does not provide that. Everyone starts with a basic Elio at the same price. The only difference at that time is whether it is automatic or standard. No padding, no negotiating, no bonuses to sales staff who will be trained and salaried by Elio. All these things add up -- or more accurately subtract down to the goal of $6800. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interestingly, 2009's initial Hello Elio Marketing Campaign estimated the Elio cost at under $7500 and only 75 mpg. Time and partnerships with suppliers apparently proves the MSRP to be little lower than initially expected along with a more efficient engine and aero styling to reach the new 84 mpg mark.

Top Bottom