• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Progress

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a thread that's being moved..... I'd invite anyone that knows of progress or has opinions on the importance of progress to post it here.

n my mind there is a world of difference between a prototype and an engineering model. When I saw the P4, I was reminded by the Elio guy I spoke with just how far the Elio was from production. The P4 was just a close replica that could be driven of what the Elio is. The completion of an engineering model is VERY close to the final product. You can sit in it and should notice very little different from what they produce on the line.

Elio should now be viewed as a company that has a product, that needs the capital to produce it. Before an engineering model, they are a company that has an idea which they are developing and working towards production. Paul is very close to his day. I suspect he has 6-9months to gain the funding necessary or it's over. I'm hoping he has it by March. Unfortunately, Paul would not say how long after funding is secured that production would start.

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From Jeff Porter.....

This seems as good a place as any for my post, NorTracNY has mentioned some things that I wanted to ask about. Coss, you can move this to another thread as appropriate.

How about a nice summary of the progress of things. Everyone chime in as desired:
  • The 100 pre-production vehicles: the idea of them being done in December is history, yes? Is there a latest target date?
  • In Elio's original plan showing the months and what milestones they wanted to hit, what month are we in... is it about Month 8 now?
  • Other than the seat manufacturer, are there any other suppliers committed to setting up in the Shreveport plant?
  • The 65,000 reservations amount was established by EM as the limit for folks who can get a locked base price; do we have any information on what EM will do once the 65,000 reservations are reached? I always viewed it as a way to generate some demand and more reservations, but I'm curious if we have a good idea of what EM plans after that.
  • How many engineering vehicles do we know have been completed? I believe the first one was done in July.
  • What's the most recent good news / milestone reached / encouraging event?

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 100 preproduction units have been pushed into Q3 with production being in Q4 of '17. If they are still slated as fleet vehicles they don't make sense to me. Get them on the road for potential customers to test out and for gathering more orders.

I've never seen the month vs milestones you mention.

I'm not aware of others going into the plant.

Complete for the engineering models is tough to say. A went to Continental that was likely very complete. D went to Red Dot that was notably not complete. Paul announced last week that C for the show is complete. B is supposed to be the golden which will not be shown. I think we have only seen a few additional frames.

Who knows what happens after 65K. I assume the mpg is needed for the ATVM loan, but maybe more.

For me the last good news was the confirmation of a complete engineering model for the LA Auto show.

Mpg and funding for production are the ONLY milestones left for me. It's not clear to me if they currently can even fund these 23 engineering models. I could care less about 100 pre-production models.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The 100 preproduction units have been pushed into Q3 with production being in Q4 of '17. If they are still slated as fleet vehicles they don't make sense to me. Get them on the road for potential customers to test out and for gathering more orders.

I've never seen the month vs milestones you mention.

I'm not aware of others going into the plant.

Complete for the engineering models is tough to say. A went to Continental that was likely very complete. D went to Red Dot that was notably not complete. Paul announced last week that C for the show is complete. B is supposed to be the golden which will not be shown. I think we have only seen a few additional frames.

Who knows what happens after 65K. I assume the mpg is needed for the ATVM loan, but maybe more.

For me the last good news was the confirmation of a complete engineering model for the LA Auto show.

Mpg and funding for production are the ONLY milestones left for me. It's not clear to me if they currently can even fund these 23 engineering models. I could care less about 100 pre-production models.
They may not be moving into the plant but have you seen the list of Vendors that have already signed on to the Elio Project?
A number of vendors already have the facilities in place to be able to handle the volume needed for the Elio and don't need to relocate to the plant.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Am still holding out hope they deliver in 2017. But it's getting iffy for me because I'm getting close to the point where I really need a new vehicle. I can't hold out much longer.
Remember; the Elio was never intended to be a primary driver; it has always held true to being an -- And ---- vehicle.

If you're stuck for transportation, go and buy something you can turn around and sell when the time comes.
There are a number for car that hold value , so you can get out of it, what you put into it.
Or if you can work it to lease something on a short term lease, do that.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am 77 yrs old, do you really think that I will get my Elio in my life time? If not, then I would at least like to drive one. Hopeful
I can't answer that for you.
You would have to ask Elio Motors.
Elio Owners Forum is not affiliated with Elio Motors; so we don't have any more information on it then you do.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I am 77 yrs old, do you really think that I will get my Elio in my life time? If not, then I would at least like to drive one. Hopeful
It all depends-
a. do you smoke tobacco ?
b. is your BMI less than 25?
c. Are you on blood thinners?
d. pre-diabetic?
e. blood pressure and resting pulse "normal"?
f. touch your toes (without knee bend)
g. know the date and year?
h. easily remember family member's names?
i. not on psychotropics.
j. Can do all your ADL's
then the statistical answer is a resounding yes!!
of course you could step out your door tomorrow and be killed by a meteorite (not sure if it's a meteorite or meteor ), but that's another of my problems, same with stalagmites and stalactites. Not even sure of port and starboard! Heck, I've gotta remember where I hid my passwords.
(Me- closing in on 74)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It all depends-
a. do you smoke tobacco ?
b. is your BMI less than 25?
c. Are you on blood thinners?
d. pre-diabetic?
e. blood pressure and resting pulse "normal"?
f. touch your toes (without knee bend)
g. know the date and year?
h. easily remember family member's names?
i. not on psychotropics.
j. Can do all your ADL's
then the statistical answer is a resounding yes!!
of course you could step out your door tomorrow and be killed by a meteorite (not sure if it's a meteorite or meteor ), but that's another of my problems, same with stalagmites and stalactites. Not even sure of port and starboard! Heck, I've gotta remember where I hid my passwords.
(Me- closing in on 74)

If you hide those passwords in the end zone, at least they'll be safe from your team! :p

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of a Falcons fan saying that to a Seahawks fan... since they beat the Falcons. Still, it's funny.

Top Bottom