• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed except for the trike part. There is no way a trike would ever be stable enough to road race. When I come out of turn 4 at MAM the lateral Gs are so hard my keys stand straight out of the ignition. It would be impossible to put any significant lateral load on an Elio without it tumbling into the weeds. Even at just autocross speeds look how hard my right front tire is tucking under the car.
2udx2s0.jpg

But that's rear wheel drive. Small front wheel drive cars are always going up on 3 wheels in the corners and good drivers like the pilot of this Mini even manage it in the rain.
s7NHaXu.jpg

So in short there is no way a Elio could run around a track with out tipping over.
But the Elio is at least 1,000lbs lighter than your car, that makes a lot of difference in cornering; plus the E is Front wheel drive, so it will be "pulled" through a corner, not "pushed".

Wouldn't it fit into a HP Class (H Production) or Sports Racer? By specs an Elio is almost the same Formula Vee

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slingshot roll over but it had stability control off plus its not like Elio FWD. I am surprised no on has made a 4 wheel conversion for the slingshot
The slingshot looks like it would do very well racing and it does terribly. It rolls over going aggressively around cones while the Elio does not. I would not rule the Elio out at all!

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope when the plant fires up you will be able to have the turbo charger put on with your other accessories.
MK

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hope when the plant fires up you will be able to have the turbo charger put on with your other accessories.
MK

Might be worth while to have someone ask them how they are doing with their talks with Precision Turbo and Engine.
PE mentioned that they were having some discussions with Precision Turbo and Engine and another story mentioned that some of the IAV engineers were playing with some turbo ideas.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Elio will handle much better than the Slingshot for several reasons. The Slingshot has a large engine with high CG, shorter wheelbase, rear wheel drive and side by side seating. With only the driver aboard going from a hard left to a hard right the weight transfer alone would be critical. The Elios low CG, longer wheelbase, central seating and forward weight bias all increase stability. While the single rear wheel may not have much traction the rear doesn't have much mass either.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Elio will handle much better than the Slingshot for several reasons. The Slingshot has a large engine with high CG, shorter wheelbase, rear wheel drive and side by side seating. With only the driver aboard going from a hard left to a hard right the weight transfer alone would be critical. The Elios low CG, longer wheelbase, central seating and forward weight bias all increase stability. While the single rear wheel may not have much traction the rear doesn't have much mass either.
I can agree with this; on the track the Elio is going to be a completely different feel and handle than a Slingshot.
I just saw a CanAm going down the road today, 2 people on it; they were traveling south and I was going east so I got a good look at the side profile as it went through the intersection; I couldn't help but see that it really looks more like a bike with a modified front end than a vehicle designed from the ground up to be a 3 wheeler like the Elio. The riders were sitting high and behind the CG, and the passenger didn't look all that comfortable; she was sitting even higher than the driver. It has to have a very "different" kind of feel to it; but I can see where it would feel more like a bike than a car.

Top Bottom