• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For lateral stability, couldn't you just add some "training wheels" on the back? Kinda like how drag racers add those bars to keep them from flipping backwards.
May as well be a four wheeler then. Racing always has it's qualifications. So if a group just HAD to race elio's they may well decide to have a class with 'training wheels'. But that would be a modified Elio class.
In other such classes they might require only 3 wheels, but any aerodynamic features such as a 'top wing' etc etc. In 'modified' and 'unlimited' things can go all kinds of places. An active vertical top-wing could certainly control roll-over in a three wheeler.

TopWing.png

The situation is like the world-cup sail race. Those are not the fastest boats possible. They are the fastest inside that boat category with a set of specs and limitations. It used to be about advancing boat design, or sailing skills, but now it seems to be about advancing the most politically agreeable racing venue.

Below, my own leisure racer design ..a HydroKite class boat of course!
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=63101d8374b10c25bae3d599feddd51e
LeisureRacing.png

Notice how much faster this guy goes when the water kite (my term) is in use.

My own preference is to see a race that attempts gets the best out of three wheels. Or the best out of a mostly stock Elio.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For lateral stability, couldn't you just add some "training wheels" on the back? Kinda like how drag racers add those bars to keep them from flipping backwards.

Paul recently commented that the Elio will have a "skid pad" rating of about .84g.
I did a little poking around on line and came up with this ---> http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfleger/auto/handling.html <--- paper on various vehicles ratings. Of course it didn't include things like Corvettes, Vipers, and other outrageous vehicles, but it seems to show that .84g is fairly respectable.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know, racing has all kinds of different intent, both admitted and some not so much.
Like this T-Rex, if for having fun, well OK?, but for doing well in comparison to other craft, not so much?

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul recently commented that the Elio will have a "skid pad" rating of about .84g.
I did a little poking around on line and came up with this ---> http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfleger/auto/handling.html <--- paper on various vehicles ratings. Of course it didn't include things like Corvettes, Vipers, and other outrageous vehicles, but it seems to show that .84g is fairly respectable.
.84g is .84g. It doesn't matter if it has 3, 4 or 6 wheels, I'm-a-thinkin'.

Top Bottom