• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio- Toyota I-road Joint Venture

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This would be a win win situation. Elio could build the i-road for Toyota in exchange for access to the i-road suspension system and help with the motor. This would reduce Elio's start up costs and would increase sales . The two vehicle won't compete with each other. the i-road is for cities and the Elio's is for hi-ways

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll buy one of each. The I-Road may likely beat the Elio to production as it is currently being fleet tested in ride share programs. It would be interesting for the two companies to share a trike building production facility in Shreveport.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This would be a win win situation. Elio could build the i-road for Toyota in exchange for access to the i-road suspension system and help with the motor. This would reduce Elio's start up costs and would increase sales . The two vehicle won't compete with each other. the i-road is for cities and the Elio's is for hi-ways
Hummm
That thing needs work. Think it would drag Elio down boat anchor stile.
MK

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hummm
That thing needs work. Think it would drag Elio down boat anchor stile.
MK
Test drivers say it's the most fun they have ever had behind the wheel. It's a city Autoscooter EV, an & vehicle much like the Elio. It is what it is and will meet the needs of many commutuers.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Test drivers say it's the most fun they have ever had behind the wheel. It's a city Autoscooter EV, an & vehicle much like the Elio. It is what it is and will meet the needs of many commutuers.
I like the technology in the i-Road and I think it might sell or be a good rental fleet in dense urban areas, but I don't quite get who the vehicle is being built for, people with high incomes in cities without public transportation? I mean it is a scooter, but at automobile price, it has limited range and limited top speed, and any anxiety someone might have in an Elio would be amplified in the i-Road. I love the video's of them leaning into curves, one of the most enjoyable things riding on my motorcycle, but doing that in an enclosed vehicle to me comes across as anticlimactic. Is there anyone on the forum who's actually driven an i-Road (maybe rides motorcycle too) who could describe what it's like? Just curious.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the technology in the i-Road and I think it might sell or be a good rental fleet in dense urban areas, but I don't quite get who the vehicle is being built for, people with high incomes in cities without public transportation? I mean it is a scooter, but at automobile price, it has limited range and limited top speed, and any anxiety someone might have in an Elio would be amplified in the i-Road. I love the video's of them leaning into curves, one of the most enjoyable things riding on my motorcycle, but doing that in an enclosed vehicle to me comes across as anticlimactic. Is there anyone on the forum who's actually driven an i-Road (maybe rides motorcycle too) who could describe what it's like? Just curious.
Allthough I am only eager to test drive an i-Road, respected car and driver jounalists say it's like fying a plane, driving a boat, and riding a cycle all at the same time. Pricing estimates in the $8-10 K range for an EV urban autoscooter seems reasonable. Arnold S. even has a smile on his face and is a nice fit for a big guy.
image.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The iRoad was developed in Japan specifically for its urban traffic challenges - where streets are often narrow, trips are generally short, traffic proceeds at a creep, and parking is practically non-existent. As far as being fit for the purpose, the iRoad scores well. Adapting it to US traffic conditions will bring up serious issues, primarily because its 38mph top speed and 30-mile range are rather outside our market envelope. If it can't get on the freeway, it's not of much use to the American commuter. There are already a number of limited-production "Neighborhood Electric Vehicles" on the market here that are meant for gated communities, and a few that can, with speed limiters, do double-duty as golf carts. Would I drive one in traffic? Not on your (or my) life!

Puttering around my neighborhood in an iRoad would be like trying to ride a 30mph pogo stick, given the condition of our streets. With just enough oddly-placed stop signs - and the people who totally ignore them, driving around here would require an organ donor card, a prepaid funeral and a certification of your own personal sanity, with a non-death-wish endorsement.

What happens to these "urban" or "neighborhood" vehicles is once their speed capability rises over about 15 mph, you start having to take a long look at safety equipment. From the basics like seat belts, you move up to the more expensive gear like crush zones, air bags, rollover and side intrusion protection, anti-lock brakes, stability control start to ramp up the MSRP, then you get into environmental issues and the expenses of testing and certification. By the time you arrive at a freeway-capable vehicle, you're into a lot of expensive engineering and manufacturing. That's where EM has really shown; by developing a motorcycle to passenger car standards, they have the ability to tweak the design only slightly and market the Elio as an automobile - if needed - though at some additional cost. Nice approach, that! ;)

Top Bottom