• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Vs Spark Ev

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once one rides in a Elio on a long trip feeling the bumps and hearing the noise they will go back to long trips in their 50K SUV'S.
When did you go for a long ride in, or even hear the sound of the Elio, or even seen one with the updated suspension the Elio engine installed, or the exhaust system? Till then you are simply making uneducated guesses.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the elio gets 60 mpg combined compared to 119 mpg for the spark, whats the better deal? Lets say the spark costs 20k after tax incentive and you drive 12k miles a year. After 3 years, what do you guys think it cost to drive them, when you count depreciation and gas savings.Elio wins in depreciation, but the spark wins in gas savings.

Based solely on the hypothetical numbers you provided (and assuming a fuel cost of $3.5 per gallon):
  • The Elio would cost roughly .058 per mile to drive while the spark would cost .029 per mile
  • At 12k miles a year of driving, the spark would save you $347.06 per year in fuel.
  • However, because the initial cost of the spark is $13,200 higher than the elio, it would take you 38 years to start saving money. And that's disregarding the potential gains if you invested that 13k instead.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based solely on the hypothetical numbers you provided (and assuming a fuel cost of $3.5 per gallon):
  • The Elio would cost roughly .058 per mile to drive while the spark would cost .029 per mile
  • At 12k miles a year of driving, the spark would save you $347.06 per year in fuel.
  • However, because the initial cost of the spark is $13,200 higher than the elio, it would take you 38 years to start saving money. And that's disregarding the potential gains if you invested that 13k instead.

Excellent! Now, what happens when you factor in battery replacement?

Mark Zieser

Reaction score
I work at a Chevy dealer. We haven't seen an Electric Spark yet. Not American made (if that matters to you) and realize you can't even buy a decent Polaris quad and make it street legal for this money

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Excellent! Now, what happens when you factor in battery replacement?
Who knows.

MPG is only critical when comparing like-priced vehicles. It takes a LONG time to make up a difference with most cars. Shoot, I drive over 24000 miles a year in my 30 mpg subaru and even the Elio will take me over 5 years to break even and it's both crazy cheap and crazy efficient - and that's if I drive it to work every day, saving 1.4k/year on fuel.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but here's another scenario (because I still have the spreadsheet open).
Again take your 20k spark at 119mpg and an old used Crown Victoria at 19mpg that you could buy around here for about 2k.

Using the same $3.5/gal and 12k mi/yr as before:
  • The spark would save you $1,857.59/yr in fuel, sure
  • but with a price difference of $18000, it would be close to 10 years before the spark becomes the more economical choice.

Top Bottom