• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Weight?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I favor SMC.
Had a hail storm in early June.
About 3" of pea gravel sized (3/8" to 1/2") stones in 20 minutes.
My truck took about $2K in damage. Mostly roof and hood.
(Hood is aluminum, top is steel)
The fiberglass top on my jeep? None at all.

That brings up an interesting question... Being in hail country too my main desire for SMC panels are for weight savings and hail/ding resistance. But with other cars that used non-metal panels like the Saturn, the horizontal panels like the hood, roof and trunk were steel. I wonder if the Elio will do the same or stick with SMC? Assuming they go with SMC for production.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
From EM's email
"There are two topics that generated emails about the E1a: the body and the frame. The questions about the body were all regarding the “100% made of steel body.” Sheet molded composite is still the design direction but we are looking at other materials, i.e. steel and other automotive skin materials that could help us make the vehicle better, safer, more reliable and improve upon our four tenets. All changes and potential improvements must fit within our four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered."
"...four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered
" Being considered, so the steel body is not a final "written in stone" decision; it can still change back to the panels they are using, or even materials they haven't tried yet.
Don't get all hung up because they are trying something different; this is what the E-series is all about; making it work!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From EM's email
"There are two topics that generated emails about the E1a: the body and the frame. The questions about the body were all regarding the “100% made of steel body.” Sheet molded composite is still the design direction but we are looking at other materials, i.e. steel and other automotive skin materials that could help us make the vehicle better, safer, more reliable and improve upon our four tenets. All changes and potential improvements must fit within our four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered."
"...four tenets and our existing timeline to be considered
" Being considered, so the steel body is not a final "written in stone" decision; it can still change back to the panels they are using, or even materials they haven't tried yet.
Don't get all hung up because they are trying something different; this is what the E-series is all about; making it work!
In my interpretation, "...looking at other materials... does not mean that they're even going to try them.
To me it means that they may be considering experimenting with them. So this may be much to do about nothing.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my interpretation, "...looking at other materials... does not mean that they're even going to try them.
To me it means that they may be considering experimenting with them. So this may be much to do about nothing.

common-sense.jpg

Top Bottom