• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Wiping Out Tesla!

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
--------------------------------
Sources of Electricity
67% Fossil Fuels
19.5% nuclear
6.8% Hydro
4% Wind
.4% Geothermal
.2% Solar
?? Tidal
------------------------
97.9% Total
---------------------------

This is REALLY stupid, could have been written by an PR agency for BigCarbon (and probably was the source)

oil and coal as energy sources have been in place for 100 to 150 years, while wind and solar have been used less than 10 years.

BigCarbon as energy source has only a declining future, a decline retarded by $100Ms BigCarbon is spending to deny AGW and to get renewable energy sources and targets blocked or killed.

But the transition away from BigCarbon for energy is gathering steam and won't be stopped.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Source?

It really doesn't matter because EV's are simply so much more efficient regardless of the energy source, renewable or non-renewable. We are moving in the right direction by providing funding for the development of renewable sources and ATVM's. The key is being able to get away from the dependency on foreign oil.

It seems the same crowd that is anti-EV also objects to the funding and development of alternative energy and ATVM's.

In fairness, I did a number of Google searches looking for something like............
"percent of us power from [fill in the blank]" then sequenced them based on percentage.
Also did search on "Transmission loss................" can't remember the exact search
And one for "AC to DC conversion loss"...............
Guess the point being that while electric is "clean" at the point of consumption, it is still pretty bad at the point of production.
That's what my NIMBY comment is in the post above yours.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
70% of US oil consumption is for transport, and internal combustion engines are 30% efficient. insanity

Back to your old tricks?
Only quoting part of what people say while trying to make it look like a full quote.

This page shows how "oil" is actually used --------> http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=001797 <-------------
On your 30% efficiency, modern gas engines are up to about 35% and diesels can reach up to 50%.
Steam turbines or gas turbines are in the low 40% range.

And one of the things I showed and you conveniently didn't by only including a partial quote was that 67% of electricity comes from fossil fuels.
You also left out the transmission losses and conversion losses.
That being the case, I will quote myself............
I'm not necessarily anti EV, but I did do some homework as the result of someone else's post.
Here is the results
--------------
Remember, electricity comes from someplace and there is power loss along the transmission lines. So the next time someone tells you about clean electric energy for cars, remember that about 86% of that electricity comes from non renewable sources and that there is probably 6 to 8% transmission loss between production and use, and at least 5% power loss converting from AC to DC to charge your cars batteries. And all of that is before you consider the energy it takes to build the car to start with.
--------------------------------
Sources of Electricity
67% Fossil Fuels
19.5% nuclear
6.8% Hydro
4% Wind
.4% Geothermal
.2% Solar
?? Tidal
------------------------
97.9% Total
---------------------------

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is REALLY stupid, could have been written by an PR agency for BigCarbon (and probably was the source)

oil and coal as energy sources have been in place for 100 to 150 years, while wind and solar have been used less than 10 years.

BigCarbon as energy source has only a declining future, a decline retarded by $100Ms BigCarbon is spending to deny AGW and to get renewable energy sources and targets blocked or killed.

But the transition away from BigCarbon for energy is gathering steam and won't be stopped.
"won't be stopped" because of all the government subsidies in place for solar and wind paid by the taxes paid by big oil? (and you and me) :rolleyes:

EXXONMOBILE is the US Company that pays the most taxes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/04/23/which-corporations-pay-the-most-taxes/

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drive an F-350 so, no. But, if the pollution must be generated, I'd rather it be somewhere else. Wouldn't we all?

I will say the same to you that I said to "satx". You should either quote someones post or not. You shouldn't take an extract unless you make it very clear that is what you are doing.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I apologize if it's blurry (looks like it is on my computer). Adobe was giving me H*ll, so I opted to edit it in MS Paint. Data taken from E-grid, page #6, an EPA site:

http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/docu...9th_edition_V1-0_year_2010_Summary_Tables.pdf

Last line shows percent, overall, of electricity generation by source.

Please continue...

:popcorn:

Egrid from the EPA.jpg

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BigCarbon has received for decades, still receives, $Bs in annual tax breaks, subsidies, etc,
all around the planet, in spite of being the biggest, most profitable industry.

EVERY COMPANY GETS TAX DEDUCTIONS .
IF THEY DON'T , THEY HAVE A LOUSY ACCOUNTANT .

OIL COMPANIES DON'T GET SUBSIDIES .

THE GOVERNMENT MAKES MORE MONEY FROM
A GALLON OF GAS THAN THE OIL COMPANIES DO .

THE OIL COMPANIES MAKE A LOT MORE THAN JUST FUEL .

YOU ARE MADE OF CARBON , IT MIGHT EVEN BE BIG .

Top Bottom