• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

booboo

Elio Addict
The ELIO is long enough, and I am hoping the ergonomic engineers are thinking of this too.
With a proper seat configuration, the front seat needs to full recline, it might become a comfortable bed.
Enough said.

KD

Elio Addict
...unique trunk space and use that for travel luggage.

That is an understatement!

I hope and trust you have seen one of these in person? Don't get me wrong, it has a myriad of possibilities, and it will be very interesting to see how people pack this thing up to go on road trips. For 2!

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
It will be very interesting to see how people pack this thing up to go on road trips.

HERE IS MY FREEWAY PACKED FOR A TRIP .
I WAS SURPRISED HOW MUCH STUFF IT CAN HOLD .
DSC_0273.JPG

Coss

Staff member
I've packed for a 5 day trip for two on a bike a number of times; you just have to pack basics and pack smart.
The 5 day packing did include my "hotel" (aka the tent and air mattress).

AriLea

Elio Addict
Good job.:thumb:

My insight is rated at 53 MPG. I got 70.2 MPG on the commute home tonight, and my average over the 15,000 miles I've put on it is 61.0 MPG. I still think the Elio will average 60-70 in the real world. Not 84. 70's maybe for experienced hypermilers.

Exactly. The problem arises when some people value things that are counter to the plainly-stated objectives of the thing they want to change. :doh:
I'll let you know. I have an 84 mile commute, and a Prius to compare to. I can get 27 out of a Grand Caravan, where my daughter can only get 19. So I think I have a good chance to beat that 84mpg level.

AriLea

Elio Addict
I learned that 4 less gallons of fuel will not increase the depth of the trunk area, (My first assumption) but could be utilized under the back seat. The changes required to utilize that space i'm not clear on. ordering a smaller fuel tank is easy and cheaper, other modifications could be easy too at this pre-production stage. The role of these 25 cars is to work out the bugs before final tooling is created. As an Architect I make last minute changes to muli-million dollar buildings all the time, some changes are easily done, others are costly. I know the difference in building, but not cars. So when someone says you have to modify the car frame and that's not doable, I don't necessarily buy it. Some structural changes in a building are easy and save money, others are a deal breaker.

This will have no effect on me buying an Elio, it is just a suggestion that "could" create a bit more storage at no additional cost.
Already too late for this it be a cheap change. At least one set of tooling already exists. Execution of mass production is a little different from one-off construction, but I buy your point.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Sorry If I took you the wrong way, it's just seems these sorts of comment are un-necessarily negative,
"You have likely chosen the wrong vehicle for camping. Sort of like trying to eat soup with a fork."
"If you can't do a 3-5 day trip with a bag that fits in the trunk of the Elio, you might be a clothes-horse."
"If you need to carry home 4 gallons of milk at a time from the grocery store, the Elio may not be the vehicle for you"
Oh,, you'll get used to gas powered. He's a bit of a rough diamond, but he means well. Wait that picture about fits most of us. lol

AriLea

Elio Addict
Well, how often does a flat happen? It would be a bit of a pain I guess, but when you look at the cost (time + hassle) and compare that to the added storage and the use you would get from that, then is it really that big a deal?

But I suppose for somebody who already has physical/strength issues, a swing-out system could be designed for the port side saddle bag. One of the mounting points would have a hinge, and the other would have a latch.
As far forward as possible is the best place for those bags. A trailer with brakes would likely be safer. It does depend on the size and weight of things.

AriLea

Elio Addict
The airport is 10 minutes from my house, I will just call a cab or better yet just drive my Ellio and the money I saved on the flight I can buy new clothes when I get there.
Depends on the parking charges. Another comparison, which will get stolen from airport parking first, a Tesla or an Elio?
lol, on day 1 of production the Elio! At 6mo later, well, guess.