• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Saddle bags are great but they should be designed to not interfere with the swing access of the rear tire. I would hate to get a flat and have to unpack everything, unhook a saddle bag, then change a tire. Just a consideration.

Well, how often does a flat happen? It would be a bit of a pain I guess, but when you look at the cost (time + hassle) and compare that to the added storage and the use you would get from that, then is it really that big a deal?

But I suppose for somebody who already has physical/strength issues, a swing-out system could be designed for the port side saddle bag. One of the mounting points would have a hinge, and the other would have a latch.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm camping, cooking and carry a folding bike, doing this ya need all the storage you can get. From what folks have said on this thread that space above the rear tire is unavailable, do you know different.
Ok so let me try to understand your storage concern/idea, so you want to use an ELIO to put as much stuff for camping and you think modifying the gas tank will help you carry more....like a folding bike????? I also would assume a tent, cooking utensils, small gas stove, etc. Will you be camping alone or bringing another person??? I mean, what else you want to stuff in an ELIO?? This is not an insult but just trying to understand your intended purpose of the ELIO. Like I said before, anybody can buy the ELIO and make it your "own"! Modify it all you want as long as you're not a hazard to yourself and others! Right now EM have more pressing issues that need to be worked out like the "final base price" and funding just to name a few while trying to build and test the E-series and move on to the 100 pre-prod..hopefully by December. ;)

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And if this becomes any more of an argument rather than a discussion or point counter point I'll put a stop to it.

This site is PRO-Elio; we all want the same thing and it's not worth name calling and arguing.

I hope everyone understands this.

Chill.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know for myself the 600+ mile range is a major selling point. Right now I get 4 commutes from one tank of gas in my 2010 Chevy Cobalt and have enough still in the tank in case the gas station I usually use is out, pumps down or whatever. That's 84 miles x 4 work days per fillup. With the 8 gallon tank in the Elio I should easily get seven commutes from one tank. I really like that extended range.
Same here. Nothing more comforting to know that your vehicle is capable of that distance "just in case"!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, how often does a flat happen? It would be a bit of a pain I guess, but when you look at the cost (time + hassle) and compare that to the added storage and the use you would get from that, then is it really that big a deal?

But I suppose for somebody who already has physical/strength issues, a swing-out system could be designed for the port side saddle bag. One of the mounting points would have a hinge, and the other would have a latch.
I have no doubt that our ELIO will be so popular that an aftermarket streamlined roof rack will be available in no time!

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree on the popularity aspect. A recent article stated that only 6.5% of Americans know anything at all about the Elio. If the rest of the populace reserves or buys Elios at the same rate as they become aware, that would mean demand is there for over 800k vehicles!

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score

And just like that a creative solution. You never cease to impress Seth.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And if this becomes any more of an argument rather than a discussion or point counter point I'll put a stop to it.

This site is PRO-Elio; we all want the same thing and it's not worth name calling and arguing.

I hope everyone understands this.

Chill.
What'd I do???:D

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree on the popularity aspect. A recent article stated that only 6.5% of Americans know anything at all about the Elio. If the rest of the populace reserves or buys Elios at the same rate as they become aware, that would mean demand is there for over 800k vehicles!

It is hard to extrapolate the adoption rate of the Gen Pop based on what early adopters have chosen to do. Face it, we are not like everyone else.

I hope that the impact of 60K Elios driving around will overcome the inertia I fear the majority of people will have. I am pulling for your prediction to be in the ridiculously low category.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a very simple fix for more carry capacity; external saddle bags.

WE ONCE AGAIN ARE EMULATING THE AUTOCYCLES OF THE PAST .

MESSERSCHMITT OFFERED A SIDE MOUNT LUGGAGE RACK BACK IN THE 50's

c23002759d6143b3f022f7435df2c886.jpg

JUST THE THING TO CARRY AN EXTRA SUITCASE AND IT CAN FOLD
FLAT WHEN NOT IN USE .

schmitt-rack00.jpg

Top Bottom