• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm camping, cooking and carry a folding bike, doing this ya need all the storage you can get. From what folks have said on this thread that space above the rear tire is unavailable, do you know different.
You have likely chosen the wrong vehicle for camping. Sort of like trying to eat soup with a fork.

As for the storage, there is none above the wheel, that's where the wheel goes when you hit a bump. But there do appear to be "indentations" in the body work, probably for strength and support, that might be used for storage in desperation. From Sethodine's post on the body work:
2ii76f7.jpg

Last edited:

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You have likely chosen the wrong vehicle for camping. Sort of like trying to eat soup with a fork.

As for the storage, there is none above the wheel, that's where the wheel goes when you hit a bump. But there do appear to be "indentations" in the body work, probably for strength and support, that might be used for storage in desperation. From Sethodine's post on the body work:
2ii76f7.jpg

Man, you have a bad attitude, and obviously don't know how to camp or at least camp light, lighten up dude.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not at all. I could easily camp for a full week with what I could pack in an Elio. :D

I'm trying to save you the frustration of choosing the wrong tool for the job.
Or at least help you see where there may be some space you could use if you insist on doing so. :cool:

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry If I took you the wrong way, it's just seems these sorts of comment are un-necessarily negative,
"You have likely chosen the wrong vehicle for camping. Sort of like trying to eat soup with a fork."
"If you can't do a 3-5 day trip with a bag that fits in the trunk of the Elio, you might be a clothes-horse."
"If you need to carry home 4 gallons of milk at a time from the grocery store, the Elio may not be the vehicle for you"

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry If I took you the wrong way, it's just seems these sorts of comment are un-necessarily negative,
"You have likely chosen the wrong vehicle for camping. Sort of like trying to eat soup with a fork."
"If you can't do a 3-5 day trip with a bag that fits in the trunk of the Elio, you might be a clothes-horse."
"If you need to carry home 4 gallons of milk at a time from the grocery store, the Elio may not be the vehicle for you"

Sorry. I think that many of us have been watching the Elio for so long, that sometimes it feels like we've had the same conversation a hundred times. We've gone from polite back-and-forth conversations, to jumping straight to the conclusion. :dispirited:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't think they are negative, just factual. I'm sorry if you think they are. You may perceive them as negative because they aren't what you want to hear? I'm Just trying different ways to illuminate that the purposes you want to use the Elio for are not the purpose it was designed for. Like you can eat soup with a fork and may enjoy the challenge, but it's still not designed for eating soup.

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't think they are negative, just factual. I'm sorry if you think they are. You may perceive them as negative because they aren't what you want to hear? I'm Just trying different ways to illuminate that the purposes you want to use the Elio for are not the purpose it was designed for. Like you can eat soup with a fork and may enjoy the challenge, but it's still not designed for eating soup.
Sorry, but that was a stupid comment. You said you could easily camp for a week out of an Elio but presumed I couldn't and needed an Esclade. If that's not negative I don't know what is. Move on and don't presume others needs or capabilities.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No need for insults. You said the Elio wasn't big enough for your camping needs. Twice. But apparently you need to "lighten up" , so I'll stop responding to you now since you can't take criticism or a joke. :rolleyes:

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The gas tank IS under the back seat cushion; to gain that space would involve reengineering the gas tank, the sensors, the floor pan, side panels to match, the back seat so if you did have a passenger you would have to have a way to not have them feeling like their sitting in a hole, the frame.

I have a very simple fix for more carry capacity; external saddle bags.
Side bags hold 1.5 cubic feet, X 2 = 3.0 cubic feet
You can also do a tail bag, or a Aero box on top of the hatch lid.
Saddle bags are great but they should be designed to not interfere with the swing access of the rear tire. I would hate to get a flat and have to unpack everything, unhook a saddle bag, then change a tire. Just a consideration.

Top Bottom