• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elios Mileage Range Vs Storage

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The gas tank IS under the back seat cushion; to gain that space would involve reengineering the gas tank, the sensors, the floor pan, side panels to match, the back seat so if you did have a passenger you would have to have a way to not have them feeling like their sitting in a hole, the frame.

I have a very simple fix for more carry capacity; external saddle bags.
Side bags hold 1.5 cubic feet, X 2 = 3.0 cubic feet
You can also do a tail bag, or a Aero box on top of the hatch lid.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The gas tank IS under the back seat cushion; to gain that space would involve reengineering the gas tank, the sensors, the floor pan, side panels to match, the back seat so if you did have a passenger you would have to have a way to not have them feeling like their sitting in a hole, the frame.

I have a very simple fix for more carry capacity; external saddle bags.
Side bags hold 1.5 cubic feet, X 2 = 3.0 cubic feet
You can also do a tail bag, or a Aero box on top of the hatch lid.
My thoughts on the subject (previously posted in another thread)
x4pw6v.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True. I was thinking:
84mpg Highway = 90% of my drive time
49mpg City = 10% of my drive time

(0.9 x 8) x 84 = 604.8
(0.1 x 8) x 49 = 39.2

604.8 + 39.2 = 644 miles. I figured working the calculation as "volume of gas by time, multiplied by milage" was a more accurate way to measure, even though real-world driving is rather slippery. And my commute is probably not quite so far as I calculated, because getting just 35mpg on a good day I can usually eek out 7 days between fillups.

Did you factor in the 150mile range of my kidneys? I usually stop at fuel stops for relief and coffee.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts on the subject (previously posted in another thread)
x4pw6v.jpg
That's what I'm talking about! I would use your saddle bags in the middle (I'd stay away for the missile pods) and the tail bag wide enough to blend with the saddle bags.
Since this "around the US" trip is not the only service his Elio would see; it would provide all of the extra room, keep the 8 gal. tank and the bags would be removable (and lockable)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then what's in the space above the back tire and below the trunk? It seemed to me there was a void there, no?
That's where the rear tire goes when you go over a bump.
Unless you want to convert your Elio to a hard tail, that space is ocupado. :cool:

4 less gallons of gas is 4 more gallons of milk to hold on grocery trips, which by the looks of it would almost double the trunk
If you need to carry home 4 gallons of milk at a time from the grocery store, the Elio may not be the vehicle for you... ;)

Steve817

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm all in and this whole Elio process rocks! I will say, on a medical side of driving long distances, one will have to perform a few lower extremity movements in order to prevent blood clots. It is always recommended to stop every so often to stretch an keep blood flowing. Take an 81mg baby aspirin each day for good heart health and keep blood thin enough. The seating position in the Elio looks to accommodate a non pinching or binding at the knees and plenty of room to bend and stretch during those long trips. Very important!!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's where the rear tire goes when you go over a bump.
Unless you want to convert your Elio to a hard tail, that space is ocupado. :cool:
If you need to carry home 4 gallons of milk at a time from the grocery store, the Elio may not be the vehicle for you... ;)
Let's review the topic;
Yesterday (Wednesday 6-22-16) Gregw posted:
The Elio has an 8 gallon gas tank with a range over 650 miles, no car I've ever owned had or needed that kind of range. Why not reduce the tank to 4-5 gallons and use that saved space for additional storage?

So tell us gregw, have we answered your question?

Top Bottom