• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engine Swap?

Wheelthang

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an OBDII computer controlled engine that has been detuned. Retuning would prolly add 15 more HP and a lot more fun factor. Adding a small turbo would be nice. A kit could be fabricated later if the demand is there.
I would settle for upgrade to rack-and-pinion steering. Understand it gets a little tough at slower speeds in tight corners.

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
...to squeeze in a k20 or some high performance 4 banger?

Not me, but sounds like a fun toy.

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing engine swap thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the TURBO... !! Think something like a STS (rear mount) Fuel economy will improve providing the operater keeps their foot out of it.. Benefits the people living at higher altitude (Colorado etc) will not experiance a power loss as with N/A vehicles.. Another benefit is better if there Elio will provide a method for towing a trailer, the turbo will "pull" better..

The cool thing is technology for fuel injection and turbo's have come a long way in the past 10 years so this option is really a "do-able" situation. The key thing is the ECU will it be open or allow access etc. This could also be as simple as changing a chip out or a piggy back type of system.. This could be so easy it could be a factory option...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now I'm confused.
Existing technology right?
If Nisson can get 400 Horses out of that 80lb motor that I could carry around...
Why can't we get 55 Horses and 84mpg out of something that weighs less than 40lb and is a little bigger than a shoe box?

Yup, this definately re-enforces my belief of it all being possible.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I'm confused.
Existing technology right?
If Nisson can get 400 Horses out of that 80lb motor that I could carry around...
Why can't we get 55 Horses and 84mpg out of something that weighs less than 40lb and is a little bigger than a shoe box?

Yup, this definately re-inforces my belief of it all being possible.

The first point to be aware of is that this is a race engine not a production car engine. This engine likely costs several times what a complete Elio costs and is not designed to hold up for more than a few thousand miles of use before needing to be rebuilt.

The second point to keep in mind is that Elio Motors is not trying to build to the most fuel efficient vehicle or engine possible but instead one that gets extremely good fuel mileage for very low cost. There are many technologies widely available in production cars today which IAV could add to the EM engine to improve both power output and fuel efficiency however these technologies also cost more which goes against the low cost goal.

Top Bottom