• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Engineering.com Article

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
According to the article, "The firm claims 85mpg fuel efficiency." Oh?

Not a big deal, but I agree with you, I believe it's a typo.

I like the positivity of the article, mentioning things like the VM Bug's perceived low price in 1967 would be $11,700 in today's money adjust for inflation.... the author feels that Elio is minimizing risk and maximizing a probability of success... risk is considered minimal for buyers.

What does the author mean by tier 1 and tier 2 supplier base? Are tier 1 the big companies and tier 2 smaller companies?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a big deal, but I agree with you, I believe it's a typo.

I like the positivity of the article, mentioning things like the VM Bug's perceived low price in 1967 would be $11,700 in today's money adjust for inflation.... the author feels that Elio is minimizing risk and maximizing a probability of success... risk is considered minimal for buyers.

What does the author mean by tier 1 and tier 2 supplier base? Are tier 1 the big companies and tier 2 smaller companies?
Good Question, quick answer.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-tier-1-tier-2-companies-25430.html

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My comment to Engineering.com:

There are a few nits to pick, but they are only nits. Elio claims fuel economy of "up to 84 mpg," not 85 mpg; and since there's only one door, there's only one power lock. Overall, this article does a great job of explaining the business thinking, as well as the automotive engineering intent of this vehicle.

One significant thing you've overlooked: at this price point, the car can literally be a lifeline for people who must travel to blue-collar and clerical jobs. Not only is the purchase price a great deal, but the maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs promise to be proportionately low. This can make a huge difference to people with long commutes and limited income. No other car made in America offers such advantages.

A family sedan, it's not. But for daily use by one person with gear or two people without it, the Elio simply can't be beat. Thanks for pointing out that both the design and the business plan are not as looney as they might at first appear.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmmm...I've always wondered why
My comment to Engineering.com:

There are a few nits to pick, but they are only nits. Elio claims fuel economy of "up to 84 mpg," not 85 mpg; and since there's only one door, there's only one power lock. Overall, this article does a great job of explaining the business thinking, as well as the automotive engineering intent of this vehicle.

One significant thing you've overlooked: at this price point, the car can literally be a lifeline for people who must travel to blue-collar and clerical jobs. Not only is the purchase price a great deal, but the maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs promise to be proportionately low. This can make a huge difference to people with long commutes and limited income. No other car made in America offers such advantages.

A family sedan, it's not. But for daily use by one person with gear or two people without it, the Elio simply can't be beat. Thanks for pointing out that both the design and the business plan are not as looney as they might at first appear.
With the optional roof rack, two people ought to be able to travel with some gear. Fuel economy will take a hit but should still be higher or on par with hybrid vehicles.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the optional roof rack, two people ought to be able to travel with some gear. Fuel economy will take a hit but should still be higher or on par with hybrid vehicles.
Depends on the rack design and even more on the frontal area of the container you stick on it. A big square box will screw you over mileage wise.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the rack design and even more on the frontal area of the container you stick on it. A big square box will screw you over mileage wise.
Yes. I'm assuming that the Elio's main appeal is mileage, so most folks opting for a rack and container would opt for the sleekest combination they can afford.

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom