• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Sound

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Statistics and personal experience have taught me that a large number of cagers out there are in too much of a hurry and do not take the reasonable time and care that they should out on the open road. They are either too careless, too distracted, or too near-sighted to see smaller vehicles. I've got four additional lights on the front, five additional running/brake lights and two additional programmed brake light strobes on the back, and I'm putting four additional running/turn indicators per side, on each of my bikes. I also have Jardine rumblers on my 650 that have stopped people from pulling out in front of me at the last second countless times. I see them start to come out, I slam in the clutch and rack the pipes, their heads snap up, they slam on their brakes and they give me the "Oh my god, I didn't even see him" look.

"If there was any REAL power involved..." To show you real power, let me run my little 650 twin against your 4-banger from a dead stop.
I doubt that you'd ever express that particular opinion again. And that's one of the smallest cruisers out there.

I have a stock exhaust on my 250. I was sitting at a stop light about 5 weeks ago @ 3:30pm on a warm sunny afternoon and was thrown 15 feet into the berm while my bike was thrown 15 feet straight forward. The lady who hit me from behind had a little hyper dog jumping all over the inside of her car, admitted to being on three doses of a prescription narcotic, and I believe she was on the phone when she hit me. I checked my mirrors (always doing the 360-degree while sitting at a stop light) and this lady would have had to have accelerated from the speed she was going when I initially saw her in the mirrors to have hit me that hard.

The bike is totaled. Her insurance company is giving me less than half of what the KBB is for a totally stock unit (this particular bike was fully dressed and tastefully blinged), and the cop let her drive away still floating on her scripts. The pay-off minus the small salvage bid will barely buy the non-OEM aftermarket parts needed and pay the $400+ in gov. paperwork. I'm going to have to do the labor for free to get it back on the road.

I don't rev the engine while sitting at stop signs and stop lights, but now I see that there's actually a purpose for it. Had I had a set of Jardine rumblers and I'd been reving them on that bike at that light... Who knows? Just sayin'

I respect the fact that we live in a country where people can, and frequently do, express totally unqualified and uninformed opinions.
Who was it that said it has anything to do with "tough" to begin with? Who is it that assumes that loud MC pipes are there to impress?
As far as the quoted post (and several previous posts) it's starting to sound like repressed cases of slash-pipe envy to me.

Vance & Hines Screaming Eagle short stubbys on my 1200 Sportster are just plain LOUD and obnoxious! :p
They have, however, proven to be an effective Moron inhibitor on a number of occasions! :D
Am I trying to insinuate anything? Maybe show off my extended abs or wrinkled biceps? :eek:
Nope, just trying to show that I prefer to keep all of my body parts exactly where they are!!! :D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do I see a cookie cutter wallet chain and a doo-rag in someone's avatar?:rolleyes:;)

Vance & Hines Screaming Eagle short stubbys on my 1200 Sportster are just plain LOUD and obnoxious! :p
They have, however, proven to be an effective Moron inhibitor on a number of occasions! :D
Am I trying to insinuate anything? Maybe show off my extended abs or wrinkled biceps? :eek:
Nope, just trying to show that I prefer to keep all of my body parts exactly where they are!!! :D

BTW, I've taken the course, ridden almost 50 years, the pipes came with the bike, got about all the lights that my battery will support,
always ride with my eyes open to possibility of rampant stupidity happening any minute.
Harlan, you look like a good guy to me, just chill on my choice of accessories, misguided as they may be. :D

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Statistics and personal experience have taught me that a large number of cagers out there are in too much of a hurry and do not take the reasonable time and care that they should out on the open road. They are either too careless, too distracted, or too near-sighted to see smaller vehicles. I've got four additional lights on the front, five additional running/brake lights and two additional programmed brake light strobes on the back, and I'm putting four additional running/turn indicators per side, on each of my bikes. I also have Jardine rumblers on my 650 that have stopped people from pulling out in front of me at the last second countless times. I see them start to come out, I slam in the clutch and rack the pipes, their heads snap up, they slam on their brakes and they give me the "Oh my god, I didn't even see him" look.

"If there was any REAL power involved..." To show you real power, let me run my little 650 twin against your 4-banger from a dead stop.
I doubt that you'd ever express that particular opinion again. And that's one of the smallest cruisers out there.

I have a stock exhaust on my 250. I was sitting at a stop light about 5 weeks ago @ 3:30pm on a warm sunny afternoon and was thrown 15 feet into the berm while my bike was thrown 15 feet straight forward. The lady who hit me from behind had a little hyper dog jumping all over the inside of her car, admitted to being on three doses of a prescription narcotic, and I believe she was on the phone when she hit me. I checked my mirrors (always doing the 360-degree while sitting at a stop light) and this lady would have had to have accelerated from the speed she was going when I initially saw her in the mirrors to have hit me that hard.

The bike is totaled. Her insurance company is giving me less than half of what the KBB is for a totally stock unit (this particular bike was fully dressed and tastefully blinged), and the cop let her drive away still floating on her scripts. The pay-off minus the small salvage bid will barely buy the non-OEM aftermarket parts needed and pay the $400+ in gov. paperwork. I'm going to have to do the labor for free to get it back on the road.

I don't rev the engine while sitting at stop signs and stop lights, but now I see that there's actually a purpose for it. Had I had a set of Jardine rumblers and I'd been reving them on that bike at that light... Who knows? Just sayin'

I respect the fact that we live in a country where people can, and frequently do, express totally unqualified and uninformed opinions.
Who was it that said it has anything to do with "tough" to begin with? Who is it that assumes that loud MC pipes are there to impress?
As far as the quoted post (and several previous posts) it's starting to sound like repressed cases of slash-pipe envy to me.
The thing is bikes, almost regardless of size, at one time or another are invisible to cagers. Not particularly because they are exceptionally careless but because of the "gorilla in the room" phenomena (
). It's been proven the brain can only register so much info at one time, picking and choosing what it sees as the most important. Unfortunately, because most cagers have little real experience with bikes they become invisible. It sounds like you did every reasonable thing to avoid being the "Gorilla", but all circumstances can't be controlled. Pipes can be that one more safety device to keep the rubber on the road. Which brings to mind the Elio. The pure novelty will give it added visibility, but there are other additions to it that might be made if we are concerned about its visibility in traffic. Extra lights, louder horns, reflective strips for night driving, bright colors. Regardless of all that, the best tool for safety is to be alert and like a WWII fighter pilot, keep your head on a swivel.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd prefer a Motus engine noise over the Harley.

It's all American, too.

It does have a nice sound! I think maybe the reason Harley's sound is preferred so much is because of history. It's always been there for as long as I've been alive (fortunately not anywhere near as long as Harley has been around!!) so it's just sort of engrained. It's similar to the sound of some farm equipment. If you had lived on a farm in the last 60 plus years, there's a good chance you've had some iteration of the John Deere tractor! I could be blind folded and still pick out the "puckity puckity" the JD engine made out of a group. Of course, that was when tractors didn't have an enclosed cab, have the power of an Abrams tank and the electronic gadgetry of modern luxury car. I guess the sound the Harley makes is just sorta what we expect from a "real" motorcycle. Other sounds of power are welcome though, or as odd as it sounds, Harley's sound will become passe or even irrelevant. Competiton is good.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found things that wake-up and shake-up were Chrome antennas and a utility 'light bar' on top. I suppose a very aerodynamic 18" light bar could be found or made.
Looks like an opportunity here. There are very few light bars that are aerodynamic and none that optimize for that. All of them are for 'emergency' use.
On an Elio I'd use one for extra marker lights and turn signals.
Here's the best I found, but needs to be higher off the body and more tear-drop and not rotating flashers. However easy enough to add junk inside like LED's as marker/turn. Almost affordable at $92 each. (Wolo Aurora)
But maybe just a little small, or not. Small is good aerodynamically. If you don't get enough attention as an ground hugging aircraft, this will do it.
Wolo Aurora_.jpg

Top Bottom