• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Sound

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I go with a little sound, ok a lot of sound, different generation maybe, but sound will get you noticed and has saved my butt a few times. So don't dis sound. If you don't like it don't have it. I like it. Elio should growl. I want it to be what I want not what someone else says I want. Lets keep some respect for peoples opinions here. This is not political or church, synagogue, we are here to share not attack, name call or label people. Just sayin'

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It does have a nice sound! I think maybe the reason Harley's sound is preferred so much is because of history. It's always been there for as long as I've been alive (fortunately not anywhere near as long as Harley has been around!!) so it's just sort of engrained. It's similar to the sound of some farm equipment. If you had lived on a farm in the last 60 plus years, there's a good chance you've had some iteration of the John Deere tractor! I could be blind folded and still pick out the "puckity puckity" the JD engine made out of a group. Of course, that was when tractors didn't have an enclosed cab, have the power of an Abrams tank and the electronic gadgetry of modern luxury car. I guess the sound the Harley makes is just sorta what we expect from a "real" motorcycle. Other sounds of power are welcome though, or as odd as it sounds, Harley's sound will become passe or even irrelevant. Competiton is good.

Mike, my father was born on a farm, as was his own father. My late "little" brother was a dairy farm manager. I learned to drive in 1969 on a Ferguson TE20 tractor with a petrol/TVO "dual fuel" engine. Happy days!

As I grew up riding BSA motorcycles, the Harley exhaust note, although impressive, has never been my favourite sound.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found things that wake-up and shake-up were Chrome antennas and a utility 'light bar' on top. I suppose a very aerodynamic 18" light bar could be found or made.

AriLea,
I like your line of thinking in our quest to 'Save Us from Them', but we could carry that a little further.
Could we add a few more items to your list?? A loud simi horn, 4/5 Chrome antennas on the roof, all cop cars have that, a carboard cut-out of a Winchester Pump, mounted upright by the driver and a foward mounted camera. Here's the Instantly reccognizeable Clincher, a Dunkin Donut box on the dash.
By the time they recover, we'll be Long Gone.lol

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I respect the fact that we live in a country where people can, and frequently do, express totally unqualified and uninformed opinions.
Who was it that said it has anything to do with "tough" to begin with? Who is it that assumes that loud MC pipes are there to impress?
As far as the quoted post (and several previous posts) it's starting to sound like a repressed case of slash-pipe envy to me.
Actually I wasn't really thinking 'cycles so much as cars and trucks since this thread was about making an Elio 'rumble', and it has a CAR engine, (and a small one at that). But in my unqualified and uninformed opinion I will submit that I have never heard anyone bragging about how 'safe' their bike sounds. Lots of other adjectives, but not 'safe'.
So let's be real on that. No headers with glass packs were ever installed on a Camero as a 'safety' upgrade. The latest 'mega-flow' exhaust system for your truck is not promoted in any way as a colision avoidance measure. And I'm sure the teen driver with a Honda civic put the coffee can on the tailpipe because he wanted to show everyone what a safe and responsible driver he is by warning off those possible rear end collisions. REALLY?
I understand you have a different personal interest in contributing to noise pollution, but at least let's be intillectually honest enough to acknowledge that we have a culture of 'noise for getting noticed'. If you truely can't recognise that then who is unqualified and uninformed? Noise is àssumed to mean power, and power makes us 'cool'.
I love cars. I REALLY love FAST cars. And bikes. My only point was that if your ride hits 190 decibels of noise to keep up with slow traffic, that don't look cool man. That seems like it's struggling hard for practically nothing. I was just trying to throw a warning from observing people who have made their rides look ridiculous by going too far with the louder-exhaus-is-cooler mentality. And I'll say it again, more simply; Take it too far, and you end up looking silly. AND, please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think for a second that the original 'lets make the Elio rumble' post had ANYTHING to do with making it SAFER! Did you REALLY think that's what was being discussed?
As far as your bike beating my truck, that was the whole point. EVERYTHING is faster than my truck. I can outrun it on FOOT.
(Just an aside though; I'm pretty sure my bike IS faster. Not bragging, just simple math. Honda V45 vs 650 twin? I like my odds.)
I'm not even going to address the "noise for safety" thing. You do what makes you feel better. I won't be installing straight pipes on my bike, but maybe I should take the exhaust manifold off my truck. I'll just tell the judge it's a 'safety upgrade'.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea,
I like your line of thinking in our quest to 'Save Us from Them', but we could carry that a little further.
Could we add a few more items to your list?? A loud simi horn, 4/5 Chrome antennas on the roof, all cop cars have that, a carboard cut-out of a Winchester Pump, mounted upright by the driver and a foward mounted camera. Here's the Instantly reccognizeable Clincher, a Dunkin Donut box on the dash.
By the time they recover, we'll be Long Gone.lol
OMG!, K , your right, this can quickly get out of control. Not that I wouldn't like a little of that icing on my cake!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't really thinking 'cycles so much as cars and trucks since this thread was about making an Elio 'rumble', and it has a CAR engine, (and a small one at that). But in my unqualified and uninformed opinion I will submit that I have never heard anyone bragging about how 'safe' their bike sounds. Lots of other adjectives, but not 'safe'.
So let's be real on that. No headers with glass packs were ever installed on a Camero as a 'safety' upgrade. The latest 'mega-flow' exhaust system for your truck is not promoted in any way as a colision avoidance measure. And I'm sure the teen driver with a Honda civic put the coffee can on the tailpipe because he wanted to show everyone what a safe and responsible driver he is by warning off those possible rear end collisions. REALLY?
I understand you have a different personal interest in contributing to noise pollution, but at least let's be intillectually honest enough to acknowledge that we have a culture of 'noise for getting noticed'. If you truely can't recognise that then who is unqualified and uninformed? Noise is àssumed to mean power, and power makes us 'cool'.
I love cars. I REALLY love FAST cars. And bikes. My only point was that if your ride hits 190 decibels of noise to keep up with slow traffic, that don't look cool man. That seems like it's struggling hard for practically nothing. I was just trying to throw a warning from observing people who have made their rides look ridiculous by going too far with the louder-exhaus-is-cooler mentality. And I'll say it again, more simply; Take it too far, and you end up looking silly. AND, please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think for a second that the original 'lets make the Elio rumble' post had ANYTHING to do with making it SAFER! Did you REALLY think that's what was being discussed?
As far as your bike beating my truck, that was the whole point. EVERYTHING is faster than my truck. I can outrun it on FOOT.
(Just an aside though; I'm pretty sure my bike IS faster. Not bragging, just simple math. Honda V45 vs 650 twin? I like my odds.)
I'm not even going to address the "noise for safety" thing. You do what makes you feel better. I won't be installing straight pipes on my bike, but maybe I should take the exhaust manifold off my truck. I'll just tell the judge it's a 'safety upgrade'.
The 650 came with the rumblers and re-jetting which are said to give it another 5-7hp.
Rumblers will be part of the reconstruction of the smaller bike.
It's been said that there's a slight performance increase with no need to re-jet after installing rumblers on the 250.

Just so you know (no-one bothered to ask), I'd like to have my Elio quiet for my own creature comfort.
The front and back profile of the Elio is smaller than the average car but larger than a bike.
In the event of an accident, the Elio will have a few more occupant safety features than than my bikes do.
Ultimately, any exhaust mod that will pass inspection on the Elio won't be loud enough to make much of a difference.
I would go with silver, but I believe that creamsickle will make the vehicle more visible.
So creamsickle with aftermarket lights on the fenders it is.

I bow to you sir.
Your superiority and "coolness" have impressed me.

Ride Safe.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mike, my father was born on a farm, as was his own father. My late "little" brother was a dairy farm manager. I learned to drive in 1969 on a Ferguson TE20 tractor with a petrol/TVO "dual fuel" engine. Happy days!

As I grew up riding BSA motorcycles, the Harley exhaust note, although impressive, has never been my favourite sound.
The thing they do with Harleys that put off many people is to put a straight pipe on them to get the maximum roar, in fact if they push it the noise is very unpleasantly loud. With the right muffler you get a good rumble. I'll have to go on You Tube to see if I can find a BSA, I've seen videos and pictures but never listened before. As for the Ferguson, in the States they merged decades ago and became Massey Ferguson another one of the major brands. Right you are, Happy Days indeed! Of course I was young enough to only be responsible for keeping myself occupied, out of trouble and collecting eggs from the hen house at that point.

Top Bottom