• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Upgrades?

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just like most of todays motorcycles if you start messing with the exhaust you are going to need some tuning to make it run as it should.
Freeing up the exhaust flow will cause and engine that is already running as lean as they can get it to run even leaner, at least a little fuel will be need to be added to the air to fuel ratio. May not be worth the trouble.
Also the ELIO will have a small engine the need to keep exhaust temps up for good flow and performance will get harder the long the exhaust system gets.
Your just not going to make a small 3 cyl sound good with any pipes best keep it as is.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just like most of todays motorcycles if you start messing with the exhaust you are going to need some tuning to make it run as it should.
Freeing up the exhaust flow will cause and engine that is already running as lean as they can get it to run even leaner, at least a little fuel will be need to be added to the air to fuel ratio. May not be worth the trouble.
Also the ELIO will have a small engine the need to keep exhaust temps up for good flow and performance will get harder the long the exhaust system gets.
Your just not going to make a small 3 cyl sound good with any pipes best keep it as is.

This is very true. Engineers are fully aware of how much back pressure is caused by the exhaust system and they do calculate this into the engine tune. This is especially important for the Elio as its engine is being design with heavy EGR use so proper exhaust performance is critical to this engines performance.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The balance between flow and back pressure have a major effect on HP vs torque . On my bikes if I free up the flow I gain on top end HP but lose on low end torque. Tuning fuel and timing will not correct that. Tuning the exhaust will. That is why drag bikes run wide open exhaust and even wrap the pipes to increase the flow speed up the gases leaving the engine. Works well for a engine designed to run wide open and produce HP.
Not so effective for an engine that needs to produce lower end torque to get moving and pull a load at lower rpms down the road.
On my touring bike I run an exhaust setup that allows me to add or remove disk to alter the flow and back pressure , you can tell major differences by playing with the disk. As you gain higher end HP you lose the torque I tune to the Torque for my needs. I will not be messing with my ELIO .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will not be messing with my ELIO .

amen brother .... when it comes to aftermarket mods for our Elio, there may be some but I don't project any related to the motor, power program, transmission, or suspension ....after they have been in production for a few years and reports are coming in on just how well they handle power turners, different size tires and such, I might reconsider

Jim

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the fart pipes might be on the inside...

Some 'old fart' pipes for sure... image.jpeg

Last edited:

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by what sound an engine makes through the exhaust. Why some engines sound a whole lot better than others. A motorcycle with three cylinders known as a triple has a very unique sound and I hope the Elio has that type of sound and not a lawnmower sound. I do not plan on doing any modifications to the exhaust unless there is a way to make it sound better, not louder. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom