• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Upgrades?

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A high mileage, gas sipping, relative low horse power engine should have a mild manor quite sound to match. Nothing's funnier than a small car with a small engine and loud pipes screaming through the gears going 30mph.
I put a straight water pipe on a ford pinto once when it was all I could afford that sounded nasty

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I put a straight water pipe on a ford pinto once when it was all I could afford that sounded nasty
In my youth, I attached playing carts with close pins on my sting ray bicycle so the playing card would ride against the spokes on the wheel. Sounded good, but loosened up spokes. I had a 1973 Kawasaki S2 motorcyle (two stroke-triple). One day I removed the three individual muffling exhaust tubes from each of the three exhaust pipes so it would sound louder/different. That did produce some noise but I lost high speed/ top end preformance- so I put them back into each exhaust pipe (along with the packing materia wrapped around them). Consider there is a lot of engineering that can go into an exhaust system to work with the motor.
Enjoy your new 2015 Elio
Terrence :)

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hiperformance 2 stroke exhaust systems are critical. Pipe diameter, lenght and back pressure are tuned to keep the inlet charge from blowing right out the exhaust ports before the piston closes the ports. Which is exactly why the S2 lost power with an opened up exhaust. In the 70's I did a little tweeking on a drag racing KAW H2.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tuned expansion chambers.
Arbeitsweise_Zweitakt.gif

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Consider there is a lot of engineering that can go into an exhaust system to work with the motor.
Yes, but engineered for what?

Considering the target market for Elio is closer to Camry buyers than Corvette buyers, whatever engineering will be put into the exhaust will be put into making it as quiet as possible (read: restrictive) while hurting efficiency as little as possible.

Generally on four-cycle engines, removing restrictions on the exhaust will improve efficiency and power due to reduced pumping losses.

Top Bottom