• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Facing A Delay , I Might Go For A Nice Used Smart Car For Under $6k

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My take on the transmission is, it's different. The driver has to adapt his habits to fit the transmission. If you take the time to learn how to work with the transmission you will be much happier with it than if you fight against it.
I'm not going to compare the smart against other cars. It is what it is. I like mine.

I think the Smart is an odd little vehicle , not unlike the Elio which I desire . A friend of mine bought one for his son . They fought against the tranny and reported that it took too much time to engage etc. He wound up buying a device that you install to flash the ECU and select various driving modes . He told me that in "Performance" mode , the tranny shifts perfectly for them.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yea , it's got 4 wheels but still just unusual enough to satiate my current desire .
Anyone else thinking along these lines ? Scion IQ maybe ?
very cool!
Take a look at Polaris slingshot
slingshot.jpg
This motorcycle is street legal! It have one back wheel, 2 front wheel and two person front seat, but NO COVER, HEATER or A/C. Elio is much better it even have cover, heater and a/c.

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
criticize the SMARTCAR all you want, it is currently in PRODUCTION, and has been for many many years !
maybe Mercedes knows more than Paul Elio ?
Welcome :)
They know people will pay extra for novelties. Paul knows this too, but his vision is making a folkswagon.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, you got me beat there, but not by much...
View attachment 4482
I have a Saturn Astra XR. It is getting 33.7 through a 20 minute canyon drive and then the remainder on the freeway (total approx 1 hr drive one-way) to work and back. It isn't a hybrid or Smart Car. The Toyota Corolla gets about 44+ MPG. So when I hear how much the Eco friendly electric or hybrid cars cost and see little to no MPG advantage it makes me think, wah?

Last edited:
Top Bottom