• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Or No Factory...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Brian, Welcome to ElioOwners.com! :)

I understand the confusion as the plant story was a bit of a winding road and there is still a lot of confusion and misinformation out there however the simple answer is yes the plant lease is secured. The short story is that Caddo Parish, LA purchased the plant from 'Old GM' and they then leased it to Elio's partner and investor IRG which intends to lease about a third of the plant site to Elio Motors and lease the rest to other tenants.

You do not even have to take my word for this as this news link has a video containing a clip of a Caddo Parish commissioner directly confirming that Elio's partner and investor IRG has an active lease on the property as of May 1, 2014

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sto...ng-elio-in-caddo/23000/Diub24NitE6yUTC-RFbyTQ

If you would like to read all about the plant saga we have a very long discussion thread about it. The link below takes you to page 27 and if you read from there to the end you will learn a lot of useful information on the plant including a slightly more detailed explanation of what happened.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/shreveport-plant-operations-and-personnel-questions.151/page-27

We are very glad to have you here. You have joined a very diverse group of people from all over the country who really enjoy discussing everything there is to know about this interesting vehicle. I hope you enjoy your time here reading through our many topical discussions threads and/or discussing all there is to know about Elio Motors.

We have a survey we like reservation holders to fill out if they wish as it really helps us visualize the growing numbers and locations of future Elio Owners. For now information visit this link: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-reservation-map-and-survey.1129/

We also have a thread for our many current and former service members to introduce themselves. If that applies to you visit this thread:http://www.elioowners.com/threads/military-service.1118/

If you ever happen to have any issues while on this forum please be sure to notify a staff member as we are here to help. :cool:

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, Brian C. I hope you enjoy this forum and the many topics discussed here. This is a very exciting adventure and we all love sharing it. :) Z

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Is the Factory location been officially finalized or purchased yet? I have been reading many different conflicting stories.

Hi Brian, welcome! What I've learned is that it's important to look for a date on any article that you read. If it's more than say a month old, many things may have changed since then. Also, if you can't find a date for the article, it probably is not recent.

Since the Elio story has been going on for years, there are many articles written as long as 3 years ago, that will have information in it that isn't true. And one last thing: just because an article exists on the internet, doesn't mean all that it says is true. Even if an article is recent, it's just about guaranteed that at least one sentence in it is false or misleading. Bottom line: read everything with the old grain-of-salt, i.e. it's not 100% true.

A perfect example: posts on this forum, as they get older, may have information that is no longer true, or could be misleading. Even some of my posts are that way. Anyway, discussions here are meant to inform, entertain and enlighten... it's all good!

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
:mad:
Do we not have any member of this group that lives near the "old GM...Elio" plant ?
Maybe if we had such a person they could GO BY the place and give us a status report THAT WE ARE NOT getting from ELIO at all.

Zip, Zero, Nada information on the actual Elio start-up !

The LAME Elio blog just recaps the most asked questions from the tour. :(
As far as I can tell, the BLOG is virtually worthless..NO REAL UP-TO-DATE information on production start.

I was one of the REAL supporters of this whole deal...I gave my 1k over a year ago...THE LACK OF INFORMATION is wearing me down.
I am pretty well SICK OF THE WHOLE THING.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Do we not have any member of this group that lives near the "old GM...Elio" plant ?
Maybe if we had such a person they could GO BY the place and give us a status report THAT WE ARE NOT getting from ELIO at all.

As far as I can tell, the BLOG is virtually worthless..NO REAL UP-TO-DATE information on production start.

I was one of the REAL supporters of this whole deal...I gave my 1k over a year ago...THE LACK OF INFORMATION is wearing me down.

Hang in there Fred! I understand your frustration. It's going to be another year before productions starts.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I really do feel for you Fred as we all understand at least some of the frustration you are feeling.:mad:

We would all really love to have this thing going into production really soon however the truth is that Elio Motors is still in the vehicle development phase so we will not likely hear much about production or see much work on setting up the plant until about six months before production begins. The great news is that after all the uncertainty over the plant we do now know that EM's partner IRG has secured a lease on the former GM plant in Shreveport so it, and all the great equipment it contains, will be there waiting for EM when the vehicle is ready for it.

What we all want to hear about right now is vehicle development news as vehicle development must be well underway before before the plant starts being configured anyway. I know it has taken quite a bit longer than many of us expected however the next few months will be busy with news about the engine being completed and tested as well as the building of the P5. After that we have the E series preproduction run of vehicles which will be used for most of the final phase of development and testing including crash testing so that is a lot that will be happening over the next 6-12 months leading up to production.

We just need to try and hang in there as we get through this patch of things mostly happening behind the scenes which can definitely be frustrating. Some people have even decided to take a break from following along so closely and I can understand that. I know that a by the end of the year everyone will feel a lot less frustrated about this project as news on the vehicle development side of things really starts to pick up. :)

Top Bottom