• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are right, Goofyone, when was the last time you heard of anyone "breaking in" a modern car? That's 50's-60's thinking.
I guess it's an idea that we Boomers carry on from our past. :cool:

#1471 Silver, auto, cruise control, GPS, leather, back-up camera, sunroof.
The only break in I perform is whenever the cam and lifters or piston rings are replaced,
what's the "problem"?? to me it's a no brainer, visited SAAB factory (when it was a 3cly oil mix 2 stroke!!) to pick-up my car- it was terrific and educational- great memories- give some thought to drive it home from the factory- good luck whatever you decide- wave to me as we pass each other in our Elios!!
We picked up a SAAB 95? station wagon in April 1971 and got to drive around Europe for three weeks before having it shipped to the US.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
11% of the price of the vehicle seems a little steep to me.

While we do not yet have an official destination charge amount I would recommend everyone be prepared for it to be along the lines of most other cars. Just because a vehicle is less expensive does not mean it costs less to ship. Shipping is calculated based on size, distance and weight. While the Elio may be lighter it will still take up about the same amount of space on a truck and have to travel the same distance so the Elio will likely not cost much less to ship than a standard four wheel car.

Hopefully EM decides to waive the destination fee for factory pick-up however we will have to wait and see a final decision on that also. Personally I think it would be in EM's best interest to make factory pickup free for first year reservation holders who will essentially become a huge marketing arm for the new company.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't I see/read somewhere the destination charge was 750.00 ??? or was that speculation again LOL

Several members have been told that number as a possibility when speaking with Elio Motors people at various events so it appears that EM would like to keep it at that number or less however we have yet to receive any official confirmation. I doubt we will find out the official destination charge amount more than a few months before production when all the numbers are finalized.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I am just guessing here but lets say the delivery charge is $500. If that is the case and if they offer free pickup then I have to say I would buy a one way ticket and fly down there, pick it up, and drive it back home. For me from kc it would only be about $200 or half after food, hotel, etc. Of there delivery charge. Plus it would be fun driving it home anyway. I bet many people who are within a reasonable driving distance would do that.

Fellow Kansas person here... I believe the delivery charge will be closer to $750. I've calculated the costs for me from NW KS to drive a rental car to Shreveport, stay 2 nights, drive back, food, etc. It's more than $750. :-) So I will get mine deeeelivered. For you, yep, fly out of KCI, pick it up, drive it home. Nice!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't find the thread with the Google Earth view of the Elio plant, but when Chrysler had it's plant up here in Fenton, MO, they'd just drive them right onto train cars (automotive type). Chrysler had their own spur right off the main RR line. Might cut down a little on shipping if Shreveport has the same type of set up.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since Paul is has been quoted as saying "I don't think the marshaling points will be needed the first year," I wonder where the cars will be shipped TO? It's not like UPS can drop one off along with your box of fancy soap -- and Amazon's drones aren't yet up to the job. You think the company will be able to get 60-odd sales centers set up by the time manufacturing starts? (I don't). My guess that most of the first year's production (the all-inners) will HAVE to get their cars in Shreveport!

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing a factory pickup mostly because I think it would be a great experience. However the distance is about 1000 miles and I'm not sure I'm up for driving that far nor the time it would take me. I suspect I'd have to do it in 3 days just to keep from falling asleep on those massive slabs of concrete.

The recent speculations about Paul possibly waving the delivery fee for factory pick up has me now thinking that if I could get a junket flight for a couple of hundred and then use my AMA membership to get discounted hauling of the elio that I could take the factory delivery complete with the experience and factory tour, drive a bit in Shreveport, and then give it to the hauler before flying home again. All in I think it would be about the cost of some of the speculated delivery fees.

Top Bottom