• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Favorite Movie Quotes

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know what you’re thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?

f8a1ec54412e9323a8ea2251fd5313d8.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was taken in Fredericksburg, TX at the (Nimitz) Museum of the Pacific War. My friend and art director who took the picture entitled it "Two Fatmen" :mmph:. The shell was one of a series built to house the spherical weapon - a series of ten to be assembled. The first was expended at the Trinity site in New Mexico as proof of concept, the second at Nagasaki, and the remainder were to be used to create "harbors" on the coast of Japan for the US invasion of the home islands. Thankfully they were not needed, not only because the loss of life would have been enormous, but the "harbors" they created would have been so radioactive as to deliver massive radiation doses to all who used them for years.

The eight leftover casings were never loaded with the weapon, but held by the US government for years until finally released in 2005. The black nose and the four projections around it were parts of the radar altimeter that was part of the firing mechanism. The Museum had just taken delivery of this one (note the pallet beneath) and it was being stored temporarily outdoors until a place could be prepared inside for its display.

If you're ever in the Wine Country of West Texas, the Museum's a huge, amazing, and instructive collection now located in beautiful new buildings. Oh yeah, don't miss the local wine tasting tours. If miserable soil and just a little rain has anything to do with great wines, this place produces some of the very best. Fredericksburg's an ideal spot for a long weekend's road trip or a stay-on-the-way venue for a rest stop in the hill country west of San Antonio and Austin with Lukenbach just up the road. :very_drunk:

Top Bottom