• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Feedback Request

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me this would be a 2nd/3rd form of transportation. First being motorcycle, 2nd being the elio in weather that isn't truly awful, 3rd being the 4wd truck when the snow is accumulating. I keep thinking about the 4 tenets and I really think that elio has it right. For me, the breakdown in order of importance is:

1. Cost. $6800 is less than most motorcycles yet it has lots of creature comforts. I could see driving the elio to work when pissy weather keeps me off my bike or when I need to collect something small while enroute.
  2. 5-star safety rating. Whether this actually happens or not I'm still certain that this vehicle will be much safer than all other economy minded vehicles. Some people seem to think that because I ride motorcycles that I have a death wish. The reality is that I am aware of risks and do my best to minimize them. With elio, the company is already doing a great deal to reduce those risks :)
  3. Gas mileage. I'm not sure I need 84mpg but it would be nice. I did the math recently and I currently spend almost $5000 a year even with riding motorcycles 7 or 8 months a year. The elio should be 50% to 100% more fuel efficient than the bikes and 700% more efficient than the truck. I could pay for the elio with gas savings in less than 2 years.
  4. Made in America! This is important to me and I'd like to have it higher on the list but this is where it fell when I sorted out the rest of the tenets. If the elio met the other three tenets and was instead built by a non-american company someplace else I would likely be interested in it but certainly not as enthusiastic as I am in elio.
Finally, a non-tenet but something very important to me is that the elio is cool looking and unique. I can't stand that all vehicles look the same these days. I also like that even sitting it looks sporty; I am hopeful that even with the economy bent that the elio performs well and is a joy to drive in. All indications are that it will be.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me this would be a 2nd/3rd form of transportation. First being motorcycle, 2nd being the elio in weather that isn't truly awful, 3rd being the 4wd truck when the snow is accumulating. I keep thinking about the 4 tenets and I really think that elio has it right. For me, the breakdown in order of importance is:

1. Cost. $6800 is less than most motorcycles yet it has lots of creature comforts. I could see driving the elio to work when pissy weather keeps me off my bike or when I need to collect something small while enroute.
  2. 5-star safety rating. Whether this actually happens or not I'm still certain that this vehicle will be much safer than all other economy minded vehicles. Some people seem to think that because I ride motorcycles that I have a death wish. The reality is that I am aware of risks and do my best to minimize them. With elio, the company is already doing a great deal to reduce those risks :)
  3. Gas mileage. I'm not sure I need 84mpg but it would be nice. I did the math recently and I currently spend almost $5000 a year even with riding motorcycles 7 or 8 months a year. The elio should be 50% to 100% more fuel efficient than the bikes and 700% more efficient than the truck. I could pay for the elio with gas savings in less than 2 years.
  4. Made in America! This is important to me and I'd like to have it higher on the list but this is where it fell when I sorted out the rest of the tenets. If the elio met the other three tenets and was instead built by a non-american company someplace else I would likely be interested in it but certainly not as enthusiastic as I am in elio.
Finally, a non-tenet but something very important to me is that the elio is cool looking and unique. I can't stand that all vehicles look the same these days. I also like that even sitting it looks sporty; I am hopeful that even with the economy bent that the elio performs well and is a joy to drive in. All indications are that it will be.
I really like and agree with your non-tenet. I remember when the new car deliveries were all secret and shrouded before the big reveal day each year. Now I have to look at the emblem on a car to tell what it is. So another non-tenet for me is I like the Elio emblem. Granted that is a small thing but I really like it and hope they keep it and the Elio name for the car. :-) Z

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like and agree with your non-tenet. I remember when the new car deliveries were all secret and shrouded before the big reveal day each year. Now I have to look at the emblem on a car to tell what it is. So another non-tenet for me is I like the Elio emblem. Granted that is a small thing but I really like it and hope they keep it and the Elio name for the car. :) Z
Elio will be the brand but the model name remains a mystery..

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a Mech Eng by profession. For several years I've had an idea in my head about a vehicle I wanted to build. I was continuously refining the design in my head and had actually gotten to the point where I was starting to do 3D modeling of it on my CAD machine. I was torn. I really liked the concept I had in my mind but I don't have that much spare time. When would I ever get the chance to build it? Meh... It was fun to think about but I was coming to the conclusion that I would never actually build the thing.

And then I stumbled across a pic of the Elio online. It was close to my concept except even better as the design wasn't being cobbled together like mine was.

Thus, I almost immediately when all in (only for $100, admittedly) just to support the "great minds think alike" aspect or whatever you want to call it.

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a Mech Eng by profession. For several years I've had an idea in my head about a vehicle I wanted to build. I was continuously refining the design in my head and had actually gotten to the point where I was starting to do 3D modeling of it on my CAD machine. I was torn. I really liked the concept I had in my mind but I don't have that much spare time. When would I ever get the chance to build it? Meh... It was fun to think about but I was coming to the conclusion that I would never actually build the thing.

And then I stumbled across a pic of the Elio online. It was close to my concept except even better as the design wasn't being cobbled together like mine was.

Thus, I almost immediately when all in (only for $100, admittedly) just to support the "great minds think alike" aspect or whatever you want to call it.
Also Mech Eng here (more systems based, not machine or product design). I didn't go as far as you but I always thought those college competition based solar powered cars could be built a little larger, durable and more comfortable and with traditional power plant. So when I saw the Aptera I first thought that was perfect. But then when I found out they were starting with electric and charging I think 40k, I knew it was too niche of a vehicle, it wasn't quite practical enough. I never even considered a deposit.

I also was never aware of the Carver and Persu, or that Mercedes concept car of 8 years ago, so when I first saw the Elio and the target price, I thought "they've done it! That is all any commuter needs." I am very impressed by anyone (if it was more than just Paul) that was the brains behind this design.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't go as far as you but I always thought those college competition based solar powered cars could be built a little larger, durable and more comfortable and with traditional power plant.
Ironically enough, I actually had some dealings with the college competition based solar powered cars. I was heavily involved in a Formula Lightning car and the school's solar car was in the next garage bay. We often swapped ideas and such with that team... I never quite bought into that concept, however, as I saw the costs/difficulties first hand. Never saw them as the basis for anything practical.

My concept (which wasn't for anything production, but rather something to be hacked together in my garage) was basically....

1 - Rip the front end off an ATV.
2 - Rip the back end of a 250 cc motorcycle (Honda Nighthawk was obvious choice for me).
3 - Build a cockpit between the two.
4 - Build a fiberglass shell around the whole mess.

Yes, my concept was/is similar to the T-Rex, but I wanted better aero, only one seat, and an emphasis on a basic commuter, not performance.

I also was never aware of the Carver and Persu,
Nor was I until about 10 minutes ago.

Top Bottom