• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Feedback Request

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ironically enough, I actually had some dealings with the college competition based solar powered cars. I was heavily involved in a Formula Lightning car and the school's solar car was in the next garage bay. We often swapped ideas and such with that team... I never quite bought into that concept, however, as I saw the costs/difficulties first hand. Never saw them as the basis for anything practical.

My concept (which wasn't for anything production, but rather something to be hacked together in my garage) was basically....

1 - Rip the front end off an ATV.
2 - Rip the back end of a 250 cc motorcycle (Honda Nighthawk was obvious choice for me).
3 - Build a cockpit between the two.
4 - Build a fiberglass shell around the whole mess.

Yes, my concept was/is similar to the T-Rex, but I wanted better aero, only one seat, and an emphasis on a basic commuter, not performance.

Cool story, and your idea does sound good although I can see how the aesthetics would leave a lot to be desired, LOL. If the Elio fails, you can still build it.

Nor was I until about 10 minutes ago.

I learned about those on the "fly the road forum" when I was trying to find forums dedicated to the Elio.

Roberto Benitez

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
84MPG (or something close) at around $7000. I find myself driving around--possibly 75% of the time by my self--in my dodge ram which gives me 14/18 city/highway MPG. It is great for when I have my whole family, or need to haul something, but that is s not the primary use.

I have consderd a fuel efficient alternative for my daily commute--but most will take many years to make it worth while as the base prices are outrageous. I was almost all set to get a motorcycle, but hedged in the end due to safety concerns.

The Elio was the perfect answer. I know, in a collision, I am much better off in my ram, but if the Elio turns out close to what they have planned, I will have level of safety comparable to a typical car, and definitely better then a motorcycle.

I find it to be a very responsible choise, environmentally and economically. I do hope it works out. Not just because, if they do not, I shall be the proprietor of a very expensive t-shirt; but because it is the option we need--and no one else has stepped up the plate.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are one or two reasons why I think this vehicle should be titled a Motorcycle and whom ever drives/actually rides it should have a motorcycle endorsement...You will have to be carefull just like on a bike when it comes to road hazards..ie..Pot holes, if you stradle them with the front wheels like we do in cars you could be in a world of DOO-DOO..Think about it, you will miss the hole with the front but the rear wheel will fall right in, damage would be severe..Also how many times do we while driving happen upon a truck tire tread in the road, some we stradle and others we slow up steer around.. Well with the Elio you will have to train yourself to maneuver around every time..I also have a feeling since this is narrow like a motorcycle people will pull out in front of us just like they do when I ride my Harley..Hey folks, you have about a year before taking delivery so put it to good use, study up , take a motorcycle saftey course and GET YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE..You will have to have one to legally operate your Elio anyway..
3 Card, 14 minutes ago Edit Delete Report
#65 Reply

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this vehicle should be titled a Motorcycle and whom ever drives it should have a motorcycle endorsement. You will have to have one to legally operate your Elio anyway.

Elio is dead in the water if what you suggest is mandated....hush your mouth! Please, let's not go down that road. It is full of potholes.

Elio track and wheelbase is comparable to Honda Accord. Half of the Elio track is 31". With a 135 tire, 5.3" contact patch, the distance between the sidewalls is 28".... I think I can miss the pothole.
The rear wheel impacting a pothole is less affected than the front because the rear wheel is being 'dragged' over (weight forward of the wheel) as opposed to the front (weight aft of the wheel).

I'm nearing 50 years on motorcycles and understand all too well the 'left hand turn' syndrome. Elio frontal signature resembles a car more than a motorcycle. Dark colored vehicles are less conspicuous.

Last edited:

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you want to run over a pot hole with a vehicle bottom being 5 inches off the ground and shock travel being about 6 inches tops be my guest..I'm sure you are the only one who will not be replacing mufflers, tail pipes or scraping the bottom..Me, I'll dodge them... AAA will pull you out..

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If the pothole is close to the edge of the lane then you should have room to just drive around it however it is in the center and you want to stay in your lane then what you need to do is put the pothole between the front tires as you normally would in a car but immediately after it clears the front tires you quickly turn the wheel left or right so the center rear tire also avoids the hole. The faster you are going the quicker your reaction will have to be to make the rear tire avoid the hole.

vtx04

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I commute about 300 miles per week. Only thing I've had to replace in my 06 Chevy pickup is a fuel pump, tires and a thermostat. Over 100k and still even has original brakes and original battery. (if you live in Az, you know having an 8 year old battery is practically unheard of) I know how lucky I've been, but I also know it can go to hell in a hand basket pretty quick, so I've been considering a replacement before then. I ride my motorcycle for fun, and riding to work every day would take the fun out of it, so that's not an option. The Elio will save me $$ in gas, be safer than riding the bike, and be pretty cool goin' down the road. Where else can you find all that for less than $7k? What I can still get for the truck will practically pay for the Elio...WIN!

Top Bottom