• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fiat 500

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not exactly similar but ultra-compact . I rented one yesterday while my car is in for a recall check .
I've always been interested in these types of cars as they began to become popular . I thought I would share my thoughts on the experience .
First is the size . The car is elusive . There is more than enough room for (3) passengers and some cargo . It's no Escalade but I never felt cramped . The interior is appointed well and no evidence of cheap materials used.
Foot on the pedal was not disappointing and met my expectations.
However , I've never been in a vehicle that transferred every acorn in the road to my buttocks . The car is exactly like driving a go-kart . I don't think I would ever select one unless my commute was 5 or so miles .
Further , in the glove box was the original invoice . $19,400 !!!!!!!!!! For the price of 2 new Elios and a good used Harley Sportster , I would want a better ride .

fiat.JPG

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
interesting personal report, thanks for posting it .... I just happened to be the info below before seeing your post ....

"Fiat sold just 314 500L models in July of 2015. That's not good. In the same month last year, Fiat sold 1,436. That means last month was down by over 78 percent. There's no real reason for the poor sales performence – the 500L isn't in line to be replaced any time soon, and it's still a current model in Fiat's portfolio. It's just not selling well."

per this link

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The thing is, those little Fiats want to drink at least 91 octane fuel to get the right gas mileage.

They also look a bit I dunno the term I would use but just not a design males would seem overly interested in.

The curvature perhaps. Even the sporty Abarth model.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think people will be willing to live with some inconveniences when they are only spending $6800 .
When I get my Elio , you will not hear a peep about the gas cap location, Elgin dash or the quality of the ride.
For me , all that stuff is baked in the cake for a $7k new vehicle .
But for $20k , my expectations are exponentially higher . I could list dozens of late model pre-owned cars that I would buy before a new Fiat 500 .
I don't know how they hold value , but I would buy a 1-2 year old mint condition specimen for my wife if I could pick it up for $7-8K

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
interesting personal report, thanks for posting it .... I just happened to be the info below before seeing your post ....

"Fiat sold just 314 500L models in July of 2015. That's not good. In the same month last year, Fiat sold 1,436. That means last month was down by over 78 percent. There's no real reason for the poor sales performence – the 500L isn't in line to be replaced any time soon, and it's still a current model in Fiat's portfolio. It's just not selling well."

per this link

The 500 L is the bigger model . Perhaps folks interested in the 500 are rejecting the new size.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The 500 L is the bigger model . Perhaps folks interested in the 500 are rejecting the new size.

I don't know one Fiat from another .... after reading the info given above I saw the title of this thread .... is there a difference in a 500 and 500L

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I peeked at one. Its cute and looks well put together don't get me wrong. But that whole hi octane business plus the high price is out of my league.

Given that I have become proficient at auto mechanics to the component level, I'll drive mine till they die and or I can get an Elio

Top Bottom