• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fmvss: Lights 8" Apart Max!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well floydv, maybe I spoke too soon again.
Section S10.17 at https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.108
I scanned the links for the resolutions and changes at the bottom of the document...
And saw nothing that indicated that the 200mm requirement had changed or been eliminated.

Like you said, glad it's not my problem and... they lived happily ever after. :)

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the referenced rule does apply to the Elio...sort of...because I also believe that Elio specifically said that they applied for and received an exemption from the rule. Such an exemption petition and any grant would be published in the Federal Register by the granting agency.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I started to read this thread...:faint:I'm glad you got the fire put out.
Similar discussion on the Riley X-R 3 group....like, 8 years ago. There are (were) several other issues with the way the laws are worded that, "IF" they were to be "enforced" would bankrupt all motorbike mfg'ers. One of them says (basically), "...rear view mirrors must be mounted to the handlebars..." Therefore, the Honda Goldwing is illegal....and so is every bike with fairing mounted mirrors.

Please stop sweating these little details. EM has been lobbying every state that is in need of changes, so that everyone that wants an Elio can get one! :humble:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting fact about the Goldwing. One of those little details is that these are federal requirements that can't be overturned by individual states. However, exemptions being granted such as the one DeltaMike mentioned would explain why there are certified Tanom Invaders, just as one example, all of over the US roads with wide-spaced headlamps.

Top Bottom