• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Free Speech Online

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Free Speech Online
For many of the online sites where you may think free speech is protected, you’re required to contractually agree to limit your free speech rights. You actually don’t have the same right to free speech that you would in a truly public forum.

This is true of Face book, Twitter, and pretty much all the major social media sites I’m aware of. Review their Terms of Service and see for yourself.

In most cases the restrictions are reasonable and maybe even necessary for maintaining a quality service. It depends on who’s running the service.

While it may seem that you’re entitled to free speech just the same as you would in a public forum, in actuality you waived that right when you joined the service. That was a condition of your registration.

Some online services are quite liberal when it comes to restricting your free speech rights, while others are more restrictive.

The Catch-All Clause
Many online services also include some kind of catch-all clause which basically gives them the right to censor you however they see fit.

For example, Twitter’s Terms of Service includes the following sentence: “We reserve the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to distribute any Content on the Services and to terminate users or reclaim usernames.” So according to those terms, they can nuke your account and content whenever they want.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/20...line-communities-the-delusion-of-entitlement/

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are entitled to all the free speech you desire on the internet, go grab a domain, set up a blog or forum, and have at it. As long as your on someone else's site that they pay to host, you play by their rules. It works no different on this forum than any other forums. I run an 80k plus member car forum with members from all over the world and it's the same there as on this site, or my local car forum with around 800 members.

The public forum is "the internet" not some other person's site you've decided to join and accuse of "censoring" your free speech. When you run the forum on your hosting you can allow whatever you want.

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Many like to scream when a site limits their speech but the bottom line is sites like ElioOwners, Facebook, Twitter, etc are private companies/groups. It is their pond and you aren't required to play in their pond. You have the right to start your own site should you not like limiting actions taken by a specific entity.

I just laugh when I see people on say Facebook start whining about their free speech rights. You have none on Facebook. Does that mean I always agree with Facebook? No way. But still it is their site. No one is stopping those people from starting their own social site. But it is to hard some say. Well welcome to business!

Top Bottom