• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... and they'll address the engine in next Friday's blog. I'm looking forward to hearing some actual facts and info about the engine. Other than the first dyno test where they were mum about the results (understandably if it didn't perform up to specs), we haven't really heard much. Well, I haven't heard much, anyway.

With regards to the engine development data...too little too late...

Elio Motors had a moral responsibility to their reservation holders to disclose engine development data years ago...

Here's one of my favorite Elio news releases from early 2016...

Elio Motors has released dozens of stories related to over-hyped accomplishments...I have no doubt they were desperate attempts to secure additional vehicle reservations...

Check this out...from early 2016... and of course there was never any follow-up from Elio Motors...

Startup car company Elio Motors Inc. and Canadian supplier Linamar Corp. said today they formed a partnership to produce engines for Elio’s three-wheeled vehicle.

The 0.9-liter, three-cylinder engine was developed with Elio’s partner IAV. Elio said the engine is expected to reach 84 mpg.

“Elio Motors has developed an engine with a rare blend of power and fuel efficiency that could have significant market potential beyond powering the Elio,” said Elio in a statement. “Linamar will use its global presence and access to international manufacturers in automotive, marine and industrial markets to identify other uses for our engine and open up potential additional revenue for our company.”

Linamar is also partnering with Elio to manufacture engines for use in the automotive, marine and industrial sectors outside of the U.S. Linamar will be a component and subsystem supplier for Elio Motors’ other driveline and chassis systems in North America.

Such pomp and circumstances...

LOL

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a good point 4matic.... we've seen nothing of the potential sale of these engines for other applications. That was without a doubt the highlight of the story! Here's a chance for Elio to sell their new engine to other companies around the world! If they had been producing and selling this engine for a year and half they would be much further ahead. Sad really they couldn't capitalize on it. They raised some big bucks....produce a prototype in Paul's garage, build a shop in his backyard and start producing this new engine. Expand to Shreveport when operations get bigger. In my opinion Paul is a great inventor and engineer, but he is absolutely one of the worst businessmen I've seen in my life. We can only hope he's finally surrounded himself with real businessmen at Drexel Hamilton that will help sell the $100 million offering. And that his finance and production team will decide how to spend the money. Even though we are on different ends of the Elio spectrum(I still think there's a chance), and you think there's no chance(My assumption only), I really appreciate your honest comments, and in this case brought up a very good point.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too look forward to hearing about the engine. But I fear it will be vague.

Agreed. I fear it will be what you can already read on the website:
  • Fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, Variable Valve Lift, 3 cyl., .9 liter, liquid-cooled, automotive engine
  • 55 HP and 55 LB-FT of torque
  • 11:1 Compression
  • Regular Unleaded Fuel / 87 Octane
  • Targeted 84 MPG Highway / 49 MPG City

I hope we do get more detail, but unless they have done more testing that they have not hinted too it may just be more verbiage around those points.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too look forward to hearing about the engine. But I fear it will be vague.

The lack of hard, repeatable engine data has always been a 'red flag' for me. That one, almost 'bootlegged' quality video with no numbers or fanfare even put my antennae up even higher. Now that EM is courting Nasdaq and ostensibly more savvy investors than Reg A newbies and Pink Sheet 'bottomdwellers,' they have to 'up the ante.' As surely, even proving engine operation and manufacturing ability (more than just 'partners' who never even mention Elio Motors) is more important now to well heeled decision makers than filling a 'simulation proven' checkbox for that dubious ATVM loan (IMHO, that loan was NEVER in play, and if it was even barely when first submitted 'died on the vine' as the years rapidly obsoleted anything 'internal combustion').

My concern is that there really isn't anything new compelling, or even substantive, about the new engine as EM would have been promoting it long ago and shouting it from the rooftops. This intrigue surrounding 'non disclosure because Paul must be in negotiations' is a load of naive denial BS: there is either new, real, verifiable engine/drivetrain performance data or there is not. If there is, maybe it's not too late, if there is another insulting, banal, and publum filled 'Momentum' (not warranting a Press Release ###) it will look, all the more, that we were duped.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Such pomp and circumstances...
What else would you expect from a company press release? Bland and boring? If they did that, you'd be sniping at them for not being upbeat and enthusiastic enough.

My concern is that there really isn't anything new compelling, or even substantive, about the new engine as EM would have been promoting it long ago and shouting it from the rooftops.
Of course there's nothing new. How would you expect there to be anything new? They ran out of working capital, laid everyone off, halted development, and are waiting in additional funding to get going again. You will hear exactly nothing new or substantial until wheelbarrows full of money start showing up in Shreveport.

You know there's no news. You know there can be no news. And then you get all mad and critical when there is no news... Sometimes you people can be so dense. :tsk:

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The lack of hard, repeatable engine data has always been a 'red flag' for me. That one, almost 'bootlegged' quality video with no numbers or fanfare even put my antennae up even higher. Now that EM is courting Nasdaq and ostensibly more savvy investors than Reg A newbies and Pink Sheet 'bottomdwellers,' they have to 'up the ante.' As surely, even proving engine operation and manufacturing ability (more than just 'partners' who never even mention Elio Motors) is more important now to well heeled decision makers than filling a 'simulation proven' checkbox for that dubious ATVM loan (IMHO, that loan was NEVER in play, and if it was even barely when first submitted 'died on the vine' as the years rapidly obsoleted anything 'internal combustion').

My concern is that there really isn't anything new compelling, or even substantive, about the new engine as EM would have been promoting it long ago and shouting it from the rooftops. This intrigue surrounding 'non disclosure because Paul must be in negotiations' is a load of naive denial BS: there is either new, real, verifiable engine/drivetrain performance data or there is not. If there is, maybe it's not too late, if there is another insulting, banal, and publum filled 'Momentum' (not warranting a Press Release ###) it will look, all the more, that we were duped.

I enjoyed reading your comments!

Every point you make with regards to the Elio saga is absolutely correct...

The Elio Motors ship has been drifting without a rudder for years... absolutely no sense of direction...

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They could have used an already existing engine for the Elio. They have squandered the money they had on poor engineering decisions, inflated salaries, and over enthusiastic mass marketing campaigns. By the time Elio is actually produced, Yellowstone will have erupted so it won't matter. There is NO Momentum. The only Elio I'll ever get is the one printed on my $1000 bumper sticker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom