• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trusting, you may be being sarcastic about the roof rack, but you are right. it would also lower MPG's. The difference is that one you can remove, the other you can't. It would then be your choice.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We went to the grocery store this afternoon. When we came out it was raining cats and dogs. Somehow I don't think those bags of groceries would have fared to well on a luggage rack. Even if I could figure a way to fasten them, by the time we got home all we would have would be soaked paper muck....

On another note.... Over the past 3 years I've been on this forum. I've noticed something I'll never understand. It's an attitude of some members. They seem to think that, as Elio owners, they are obliged to serve the stated goals, needs, desires, etc. of the Elio car. I think they have it backwards, the car is supposed to serve our needs not the other way around. This business about gas mileage. It's like mileage is the only thing worth considering. To hell with convenience, practicality and anything else. Give me that 84mpg! I hate of break it to ya but I seriously doubt any of us will ever see 84mpg unless we're going down hill. As for me, I would be tickled to death if I got 74pmg on the highway. And if the mileage is so god awful important, why not cut the weight by removing the door, back seat, hood and trunk lids.... and that damn a/c, which is known to waste gas. Let's get with the program people... 4 wheels and a motor is all we really need. Oh, and 84mpg.

Last edited:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You're probably right, a roof rack wouldn't offer any resistance at all. And besides, it's so much more convenient than a large trunk.
I think the point is that the roof rack would only be there when you need it. The larger trunk would be there forever for everybody.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate of break it to ya but I seriously doubt any of us will ever see 84mpg unless we're going down hill.
That really depends. If the 84MPG is a blended mileage, then quite a few people will get higher. The single-number blended mileage is a combination of the older highway/city mileage. If drive a lot of high-speed highway miles, then you will exceed it. If you drive a lot of stop-and-go city miles, you won't even meet it. My wife drives lots of short trips in our minivan, and she gets 15-17 mpg. When I drive it on long trips on the highway, I can hit almost 30 depending on traffic.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember, it's "Up To 84 MPG" that's different than 84 mpg. Also, since it's not a car or truck, it's not subject to the official EPA test. So, unless Elio does the official EPA test through an independent testing lab or just pay the National Fuel and Vehicles Testing Lab in Ann Arbor, MI to do it. This way, Elio could advertise the highway, city and combined fuel mileage so people can compare it to what cars are tested as. They could put this:

Fuel Mileage: 49 City/84 Highway/65 Combined*
* Tested according to EPA test #:XXX-XXX at the NVFEL facility

That would go a long way because then everyone can compare it to the gas guzzler they currently own. Thus, people definitely invest in the company with more reservations and even buy more Eliocoin. Right now it's simulations and that's it. Simulations are great but no matter what the simulation, we still do a real test. The EPA test is the only true fuel mileage test because every car is subject to the same test. Not Joe Hypermiler that skews the results by driving a certain way to get non real world numbers because real people don't drive that way. That's why you have standardized tests and specifications. We learned this back in the muscle car era when companies just made up their own specs. Thus many old muscle cars don't make nearly the power that they claimed plus it's even worse when you do it on a chassis dyno.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That really depends. If the 84MPG is a blended mileage, then quite a few people will get higher. The single-number blended mileage is a combination of the older highway/city mileage. If drive a lot of high-speed highway miles, then you will exceed it. If you drive a lot of stop-and-go city miles, you won't even meet it. My wife drives lots of short trips in our minivan, and she gets 15-17 mpg. When I drive it on long trips on the highway, I can hit almost 30 depending on traffic.
Hi Rob; If you check back on Elio's earlier estimates I think you'll find the 84 was for highway and 50 for city.

Top Bottom