• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front Wheel Track

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No motor vehicle will bail you out of every situation you entered into out of either ignorance or idiocy. Stability control is a wonderful development, but it's not going to haul your fat out of the fire every time you overcook a corner. That said, most manufacturers dial in either a bit or a LOT of understeer to the suspension to protect the unwary. I'm not entirely sure that running off the road headfirst is any safer than tailfirst, but that's up for debate. At least headfirst you can see your destiny coming.

Elio is remarkable in that it is a FWD reverse trike, meaning that cornering loads, braking, and acceleration is accomplished almost entirely through the front tires' contact patches. That single rear wheel is just along for the ride, contributing minimally to braking. Careful engineering of the front suspension has yielded a vehicle that is sure-footed and capable of stopping in a hurry. I'd be a little reluctant to practice my canyon carving without a good deal of experience with the Elio's handling quirks - and there are sure to be some. With a passenger or gear in the back end, the handling can be expected to change - probably to a touch of oversteer, considering that you are effectively moving the cg back a few notches.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a sacrifice to the car gods. Elio must give an offering to The Green Hell. Your suspension and handling questions will be answered.
Green+Hell+map.JPG

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a pretty sight. That is to say that a 4 wheeled vehicle being made to tip up on 2 wheels still steers true right or left readily. Tipping up on one wheel with a 3 (up front) wheel geometry automatically induces an unwanted and unexpected turning of the vehicle toward tipped wheel. Sure one can compensate for turning tendency but only with well trained lightning reflexes. The lesson to learn; design for a low center of gravity and the widest designable wheel base to keep both the front wheels down and working at all times. " No Tipping please."
Excellent point. Perhaps Elio could /should offer (not for free) a class in performance / defensive driving for the Elio.

In any event, youre point about center of gravity is important -- and should put paid to the idiots who want things like "tailgate style" doors or even gull wing doors. Keep the COG low!

I once owned a car called a Marcos, 39" high, front-mid-engine configuration (no babies conceived in a Marcos, ever!).It weighed about 1600 pounds. It could NOT be tipped or rolled; I think the COG was somewhere beneath the road!

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a pretty sight. That is to say that a 4 wheeled vehicle being made to tip up on 2 wheels still steers true right or left readily. Tipping up on one wheel with a 3 (up front) wheel geometry automatically induces an unwanted and unexpected turning of the vehicle toward tipped wheel. Sure one can compensate for turning tendency but only with well trained lightning reflexes. The lesson to learn; design for a low center of gravity and the widest designable wheel base to keep both the front wheels down and working at all times. " No Tipping please."
The Elio is front wheel drive. The Wheelies happen when Rear wheel drive torgue pulls the front off the ground. It will never happen in the Elio.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is front wheel drive. The Wheelies happen when Rear wheel drive torgue pulls the front off the ground. It will never happen in the Elio.
The secret is out. I'll bet your not really from San Deigo. Sounds more like Rio Linda to me. The tipping I'm talking about has nothing to do with front wheel drive. Anyone else want to jump in here and make it plainer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom