• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Full Catalog 3 Wheelers Thread

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to try my hand at a true 1.5 seater. Sort of a competitor to the Acimoto. In this case, 3 hub motors for AWD.
( click the image for the video )
106 DFOnePointFive.jpg

106 DFOnePointFivea.jpg

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a Citroen front there ...
Yes it does! Didn't see that until now. The whole thing seems a reflection of what has been called the uglyist car ever made (Citroen 2CV).

What is interesting is that I arrived there just following the technical objectives I had in mind. Actually looks like a updated 2CV, with slightly, very slightly, better looks. Maybe a 2CV merged with a 1970's DS.

Speaking of ugly, That 2CV has been used for a lot of creations. Not all of them had good techical reasoning. Like 'The Reactor', which could easil-lll-ly have been a delta (with VW engine) or as a tadpole (as it was using the 2CV)

But this as completed was the worst of everything (in the dynamics of it). As FWD, with soooo much weight to the back(when two plump NAmericono's inside), and in any weather at all and it would be best to just shoot the tires out. I think the only objective in mind at all was to create a quintessential wedge shape. But justify it artistically with a few flurishes. Just as well keep it out of weather, those open wheels would toss muddy crap all over the windshield.

Art-wise, kind of interesting. Techincally, ugly as hell.
1685457921976.png

1685458001705.png

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
>Question is, how do the front doors open?

On the 'Bee Delivery' ? (see the logo on the door) Either they have 1) a robust hinge at front and swing up like butter fly wings, and the back slide back like my 2008 Caravan, or 2) a slight change in where the crack line is, keep front and back as one door, and fold up like the Sam Cree.

It's also possible to have a lighter butterfly door hinge for the driver. Put a small hinge (with some 3in of reach) at the top-front of the window, and a long arm link forward at the forward apex. The Avion, that my peer student built had that. (google: Avion Sports Car XPrize 114mpg)

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My final conclusion on the 'Bee Delivery' as shown, it needs to have the front wheels be 6in more forward to allow the driver easier entry for his/her feet. Especially if some styles must have those long aerodynamic swept fenders.
The 'Bee Delivery' would then have some more valuable cargo space at front.
I did the body more to evaluate what the plan for the layout needed to 'bee'. (DF Bee 1.5 layout) Practically all the styles I have created up to now, for the DFS (detalidon formula-Solo) could be refitted to the 'Bee 1.5' (even with a 6in extension)

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do the front doors open and how would it compare in height to a Sport Utility Vehicle?
The real difference (to the FUV and some SUV's) is the intent for a full sealed body with sturdy doors, and a modular platform using hub motors. It is also a bit lower, so a little more stable to enable freeway running better.. The current FUV (Acirmoto) is meant for inter-city use. This would be for all-paved-roadway uses. post #545 above for the doors.
For SUV RT's, those are for sport, this is for utility delivery, commuting, etc, less HP and etc etc not sport.

OH, lest I forget, being that the modular assemblies can go into different models, that R&D investment gets spread wider, helping to reduce the retail pricing. That is what really killed the Mec-Solo off. It needed to be less than $14-15k final price. $19k+ was a non starter as a solo-seat for the wider private market.

The Ampere is $10k. No top. No AC, no wipers. I think it is over priced. But being sport-ish, some low volume of people will still buy it.

Last edited:

Greg@Dragonfly

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'll teach you:
ABS: Braking
TC: Accelerating
Stability Control: Controlling rotational axis of the vehicle

Cars today (not talking about a VW BUG but something built in the last 30 years) utilize a three axis accelerometer. It controlls the three systems I mentioned above. For the automotive industry, they use the simple right hand rule. Thumb is the Z axis, index is Y and middle finger is X. The accelerometer just like they use in aircraft. It tells you what should happen as opposed to what is not.

So, what this lawsuit is about is that they could have put on stability control yet did not. Technology is there and has been for many years. With other three wheelers (except polaris), unless they go with the Elio plan, they will open themselves up to this type of litigation over and over again. Here is an example at the IIHS rest track when the stability control was turned off.

You might not agree but at the end of the day, this is not what the three wheeler industry needs to have out there.
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and was perusing some of the dialog. Really interesting stuff out here. This video was GREAT, thx! Had not seen it before. AriLea had some comments on advantages of FWD, which make perfect sense and are explained pretty darn well.

I wanted to add a note about 'variable weight', and vehicle dynamics which are related to non-permanent/fixed vehicle weight... aka. driver and passenger in this instance. The roll axes of a three wheeler are the shape of a triangle, and it is imporant the ensure that variable wieghting is planned in relation to that triangle. Thee wheelers are also generally lighter than a four wheel / axes car, so the weight effect is significantly compounded. The angle of this video is perfect for showing the variable weight issue.

In this first portion of the video we can see the offset of the 'variable' weight of the driver is helping the vehicle maintain a lower roll as the vehicle turns left. The driver weight being situated towards the inside helps offset the roll and the inside tire lifts less.

1689000567217.png

Next we see the vehicle is turning to the right. The driver weight being on the outside is causing more roll. You can see the inside wheel lifting before the vehicle is fully in the turn. Yikes!

1689000850006.png

As the vehicle's rear end pivots, you can see how the drivers weight is creating additional roll as the lateral forces align with the axis between front and rear wheel.

1689001873806.png

In this next awful picture, it shows a clear view of the vehcile from the top, and how the driver's location is contributing to the issue.

1689002309082.png

1689003423136.png

I would venture to guess that if the driver was on the other side, the vehicle would have possibly rolled in the first turn, and made the second. Without knowing exact dimensions for true math, and we simply assume a 3 foot distance between the seats and a 200 lb driver, then there would have been at least 600 ft lb torque difference between the states in the first vs second turn, enough to trigger the dynamic for the roll.

Sooo... this is a great (and horrible) video on why three wheeler designs should also address vehicle dynamics associated with the variable weighting in relation to the roll axes. (... in addition to FWD, and stability control systems).

Thanks for letting me add to the conversation.

Attachments

• 1689000342564.png
    1689000342564.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 1689001623583.png
    1689001623583.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 1689002691426.png
    1689002691426.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom