• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Funding Refused By Paul Elio

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So nobody disputes the facts that Paul Elio was one of two partners who developed a world beating seat, far superior in strength, comfort and safety to anything ever produced. I spent many hour researching his history when I first became aware of the current dream. This information is quite difficult to find as any search with "Elio" in it gets buried by Elio Motors hits. I am not going to waste my time arguing with those too lazy to look. With those who demand a source for every word. With those who did not do the searches before plunking down their cash. I came to the Elio through my friendship with the fellow who built the 16 Geo motor for the test mules. He holds 2 of the first reservation numbers which made getting in line a simple decision for me. But I paused, did a little searching and after finding how Professor Elio burned through $4.5M of other peoples money on vehicles seats which never happened, I took a second look at this vehicle and the program. When I realized you are not making a deposit on anything, but buying a place in line to perhaps get a ticket for a show which may never open, I decided to keep watching the line grow. I love everything about the Elio. The front wheel drive, the look, the economy (which I do not believe will be anywhere close to 84mpg) and the price, which I also doubt can be met. At $10K I would still buy one. I watch China and India closely for a FWD trike, coming down the pipe? If Elio does begin production, it will only take a a few months to fill the current reservations. The production line can not go slower than that. Once the necessary investment is made and the switch it turned on, the end product is like popcorn. Piled in my collection of future projects for the past year, is a damaged 4 wheel drive Quad, the basis for my own FWD trike. In the mean time, the Miata will have to do for our fun-mobile.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So nobody disputes the facts that Paul Elio was one of two partners who developed a world beating seat, far superior in strength, comfort and safety to anything ever produced. I spent many hour researching his history when I first became aware of the current dream. This information is quite difficult to find as any search with "Elio" in it gets buried by Elio Motors hits. I am not going to waste my time arguing with those too lazy to look. With those who demand a source for every word. With those who did not do the searches before plunking down their cash. I came to the Elio through my friendship with the fellow who built the 16 Geo motor for the test mules. He holds 2 of the first reservation numbers which made getting in line a simple decision for me. But I paused, did a little searching and after finding how Professor Elio burned through $4.5M of other peoples money on vehicles seats which never happened, I took a second look at this vehicle and the program. When I realized you are not making a deposit on anything, but buying a place in line to perhaps get a ticket for a show which may never open, I decided to keep watching the line grow. I love everything about the Elio. The front wheel drive, the look, the economy (which I do not believe will be anywhere close to 84mpg) and the price, which I also doubt can be met. At $10K I would still buy one. I watch China and India closely for a FWD trike, coming down the pipe? If Elio does begin production, it will only take a a few months to fill the current reservations. The production line can not go slower than that. Once the necessary investment is made and the switch it turned on, the end product is like popcorn. Piled in my collection of future projects for the past year, is a damaged 4 wheel drive Quad, the basis for my own FWD trike. In the mean time, the Miata will have to do for our fun-mobile.

This is the second time you have done this. Trying to fill people withe FUD because you were to afraid to jump when you first had the chance. Every time something appears to be happening you try to pour cold water on it. And two of the times that I really noticed you took your arguments directly from class work. Not to mention US laws that didn't apply and whining that it would be tough for Canadians to get them registered.
Now the old 'I'm just trying to protect people'. We're adults. we don't need you to protect us.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the second time you have done this. Trying to fill people withe FUD because you were to afraid to jump when you first had the chance. Every time something appears to be happening you try to pour cold water on it. And two of the times that I really noticed you took your arguments directly from class work. Not to mention US laws that didn't apply and whining that it would be tough for Canadians to get them registered.
Now the old 'I'm just trying to protect people'. We're adults. we don't need you to protect us.

Incidentally, the material that was used came from course CPET 575 - Management of Technology at Purdue University.

Last edited:

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
interesting, the most recent info in the link is dated 1999 and in a report that goes on for over 40 pages, the last page titled "Conclusion" is blank .... while every word in the report may or may not be true, I can't see any relevance to Elio Motors .... I suspect that most of us who were alive back then have made mistakes and hopefully we have learned from them and moved on

The relevance is Professor Paul Elio faculty of Engineering, Phoenix University. One and the same. Had a class of students design vehicle seats. Selected the the best parts from many. Built a prototype seat. Raised $4.5M and went into the business of building seats. Beautiful, comfortable, strong, safe seats. Perhaps should have taken marketing 101 at some point in the plan. He turned down a joint venture with Bostrom Seat Co., over the issue of control. I truly hope Mr. Elio did learn from his experience, learned enough to get the necessary financing while satisfying his need for control of the product.

Our family invested heavily in the RotorWay Helicopter Company. BJ the president was 100% in control and decided that they would make every single part in-house. The main rotor shaft failure was why the first aircraft were a failure, but building the engine crankshaft in-house was the cause of the company failure. The cost of building the crankshaft was many times greater than purchasing it and bankrupted the company. The new owners of the company were very clever. They took the top people and asked them to anonymously write down 10 good things about the company, 10 bad things about the company, 10 good things about the product and ten bad things about the product. This became the restructuring plan. Sometimes it takes more than one man's idea to bring a successful product to market. http://www.rotorway.com/

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William,
Just a note about a consistant minor irritation here.
Please stop using forms of the word, "we", as in, "We're adults.", instead of "I'm an adult."
I do not wish you to speak for me any longer. Others may not want that either. Ask first.
If I want to tell someone that I don't need their protection, I'll come forward and do so.
You may feel that you aren't, but I still have a fairly open mind and I'm still a kid at heart.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At St Francis University, Paul Elio was asked if he would take the company public. His reply was "only if I have to". Of the several funding methods he has, I suspect going public is the last one. The company EM is currently using to raise money, Network1 Financial Securities, says on their web site, they arrange company's IPO for when they go public. I suspect this is one of the reasons EM chose them. They will be prepared to go public if they have to. Would you buy stock?

In Paul Elio's email, Announcing Fifth Generation Elio Prototype, he says "In addition, the company will announce another innovative funding strategy later this month". I suspect this is the crowd funding announcement forthcoming. Would you invest money this way?

I look forward to the tread on this subject when the announcement comes out. I suspect that thread will be very spicy!

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I was not aware anything "is happening"? I simply read a post citing the smarts of Paul Elio and question the statement.

Clever fellow WilliamH. Shoot the messenger. I am not trying to protect people with this post at all. It is far too late for that.

My problem with registration was not "Canadian" Canada does not license vehicles. It WAS a provincial problem which I was able to solve with the help of staff from the Crown Corp. which administers vehicle licensing in B.C. I had to point out that the T-REX and Polaris Slingshot are licensed in B.C. This led the staff member to the relevant section. As the Elio does not exist, I can not obtain a ruling on it, but do not foresee any licensing problems.

It was not my intention to make an argument or pick information from class work. Although the Elio Seat Co. was a misguided adventure based on class work. I am simply pointing to the fact that if you search on "Professor Elio", you can find the information for yourself. Something most intelligent people do, before sending off $1000 for a spot in a line, for a ticket. Before I invest in anything, I do a little searching. Many times I make bad investments. As long as the good guesses pay for the losses and leave a little left over, I consider that a success. The best investment is not the one you did not make. But some you did not make, turn out to be the better choice.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And incidentally. Reid3400s Bullet Point list was stolen directly from the Power Point presentation on page 21 of the course material.

Did you see the quotation marks? You either need an attitude adjustment or glasses. Or does quoting something qualify as "stealing" in your elevated circle of PHds?

Top Bottom