• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Funny Or Dumb Things You've Actually Heard Or Seen Done Relating To Cars.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nissan Crew.JPG

Me, my dad, and my cousin, those are special metric Nissan hammers..

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My best friend told me one about a guy he worked with back in the 70's. The guy had a small leak in his radiator, my buddy told him to put black pepper in the radiator and it will clog the leak, at least enough to get you home in an emergency. Well the next day the guy pulls into the parking lot at work with steam boiling from under the hood. My friend asked what happened? The guy said all I did was pour a box of GRITS in the radiator like you told me to. My friend removed the top of the radiator to find a perfect grit mold of the radiator top...

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once had an elderly Lady come in for an oil change. Put the car up on the rack and removed the drain plug. Nothing came out. Lowered the car and pulled the dip stick. Oil full! Raised the car. Still nothing. Stuck a screw driver up into the pan and a "string of solidified oil followed the screw driver. Had to pull the pan and scrape out the "goo". Reinstalled the pan after cleaning, filled with oil and everything normal. When the Lady returned, I asked when the oil was last changed. She remarked, "Several years ago before my husband died. Ever since then whenever it gets low I just add a quart of STP. When the oil light came on, I figured I'd better get it changed" I still don't understand how that engine continued to run, but it did.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once had an elderly Lady come in for an oil change. Put the car up on the rack and removed the drain plug. Nothing came out. Lowered the car and pulled the dip stick. Oil full! Raised the car. Still nothing. Stuck a screw driver up into the pan and a "string of solidified oil followed the screw driver. Had to pull the pan and scrape out the "goo". Reinstalled the pan after cleaning, filled with oil and everything normal. When the Lady returned, I asked when the oil was last changed. She remarked, "Several years ago before my husband died. Ever since then whenever it gets low I just add a quart of STP. When the oil light came on, I figured I'd better get it changed" I still don't understand how that engine continued to run, but it did.

That little story just reminded me of my brother's Datsun 4x4 pick-up! He bought this thing new in the late 70's, and when I drove out to Denver for my grandmother's funeral in the early 90's I was shocked to see he still had it. Well over 300k miles on it, and NEVER had an oil change, just added a quart when the light came on :eek:...still had the factory installed oil filter and everything [Note: My older brother could literally cross-thread a light bulb...ZERO mechanical ability, but a genius with computers]. I only popped the hood because he said it was making some noise when he was coming home from work a week or so earlier. Turns out the "original" fan belt shredded and he just cut if off, and was very proud of his troubleshooting skills and the fact that the noise was gone. He said it did seem to run a little hot in slow traffic...Hmmmm, maybe that's because the belt ran the water pump. That was ONE TOUGH TRUCK!

Top Bottom