• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Gasoline Is Greener - - - Sometimes

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely. Not a problem. I drive a Chevy Volt.

Every day my round trip is about 75 miles, which I manage 100% on electricity. Meanwhile, if I have a longer trip, I can go—I've made several such trips, which is why my mpg is only 105 and not 250 (250 being Chevy's way of saying "infinite ")

An equally valid answer for those who drive a Leaf, Focus EV, Spark, etc — rent a car for the trip. Why should you let the things you do once in a blue moon define what you drive every day?
Good point. There is a manufacturer that makes 100 hp hubs which could be used for the Elio's rear wheel and not much more in the way of controls. It'd have to have a battery, of course, but being that the Elio is so light, you wouldn't need a huge battery. It'd be a kick being able to use the engine for the front wheels and the hub for a boost or you could just cruise on electric only through the hub.

The Elio won't pull my car hauler trailer... or many other things my truck does. It'd be nice to have an electric for my daily commute so I could save the truck for longer/fuller runs.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely. Not a problem. I drive a Chevy Volt.

Every day my round trip is about 75 miles, which I manage 100% on electricity. Meanwhile, if I have a longer trip, I can go—I've made several such trips, which is why my mpg is only 105 and not 250 (250 being Chevy's way of saying "infinite ")

An equally valid answer for those who drive a Leaf, Focus EV, Spark, etc — rent a car for the trip. Why should you let the things you do once in a blue moon define what you drive every day?
You are talking hybrids, I am talking Electric.... two different animals....

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get a charge reading about the electric, hybred, ICO debates!
You can feel the static in the air, as people choose thier favorite!
I'm amped up!!
:p:cool:

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
STUDY: YOUR ALL-ELECTRIC CAR MAY NOT BE SO GREEN

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-12-15-15-01-37

(I'd post the full text here but it is copyrighted. Basically, if you charge your electric car from a coal powered power plant, you are producing more pollution than burning gasoline.)

as usual for BigCarbon supporters, alternative energy blockers, that article doesn't take into account the entire polluting life cycle of gasoline, from drilling to piping or shipping (oil tankers are HUGE polluters) to refining (huge polluters), then throw the damage done to humans, land, water from hydraulic fracking for oil. And wind + utility scale solar + geothermal will replace dying coal in the upcoming decades.

btw, Mythbusters had a segment showing motorcycles pollute more than modern cars.

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget the fracking earthquakes. Five years ago we had a minor earthquake once a decade. Now in northern Oklahoma we have two or three PER DAY!. And forget about buying earthquake insurance for your home --- no longer available.

Top Bottom