• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Good Forum Manners

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this has been covered in an other thread but this apology will make it OK.
I don't have the patience or the time to use the search or post in an old thread and besides, I just like starting new threads. :)

I guess I'm too OCDed for this. This must be my toothpaste cap off, toilet seat up, neurosis that effects others. Maybe I should take the next 8 months off and get some therapy.:rolleyes:

One half of a car that does not exist and over 1,700 threads:( and all most 39,000 post.:)
Post are good, threads, not so much, after awhile. Everything gets lost.

The moderators work well into the night moving threads (like this one:() to keep down the number of threads. Please help them out by posting on older threads if at all possible. There is nothing to date that is not mentioned on another thread somewhere on this forum.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just continue what you do and report them when you see them.:)

You would likely be shocked at just how many threads I move and merge every day as it's a constant effort. As moderators we only have so much time spare time to read through the forum and as such we do miss things.
This by no means was a dig on you or the others that help out. I know you and the others do your best.
I will do an add on to the post. It's all good.:)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You would likely be shocked at just how many threads I move and merge every day as it's a constant effort. As moderators we only have so much time spare time to read through the forum and as such we do miss things.

as the administrator/moderator of a major camping forum, the above is well understood .... I do appreciate the effort you guys put into helping keep this forum running in the right direction .... periods where very little new news comes out and a steady flow of new excited members who have little to no knowledge of the Elio, truly complicates things .... once again, thanks for your collective efforts

Jim

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am respectfully requesting that threads not be merged, moved around, or renamed as matter of principle. The only exceptions, which should be a very rare occurrence, is when a particular thread needs to be closed due to posted content that is considered inappropriate for this forum or when something like a classified ad is placed in the general discussion forum. I have only posted a few times here but am quite active on other car forums and have been for over a decade. Virtually all of threads (3-5)I started have been moved/merged or renamed. No other forum I know of merges/moves/renames threads. Its considered extremely poor form by anyone who participates in internet forums. I cannot tell you how frustrating this is.

It is disrespectful to the poster to move/merge/rename a thread started. What my title is not good enough? What the forum I placed it in is not correct? When merged it may or may not be relevant to the thread merged into.

People follow and participate in threads they see and recognize. That means the title and location needs to be consistent. So what if there are 10 other similar threads? Each thread eventually fades out anyway. When a thread is merged/moved/renamed, that reference is gone. Its like going into someone else's house and rearranging everything while the owner is away...."who moved my shoes that I left by the front door this morning" etc. Get the point?

It is difficult to find information in threads that are dozens then hundreds of pages long, no none has that level of interest or time. Is it the goal of this place to have only a handful of specific threads that will become megathreads? I know the search function works well here, that's not the point. How many times will merging threads happen before they are 1,000,000 posts long? That is a ridiculous proposition and what is the purpose?

Respectfully.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am respectfully requesting that threads not be merged, moved around, or renamed as matter of principle. The only exceptions, which should be a very rare occurrence, is when a particular thread needs to be closed due to posted content that is considered inappropriate for this forum or when something like a classified ad is placed in the general discussion forum. I have only posted a few times here but am quite active on other car forums and have been for over a decade. Virtually all of threads (3-5)I started have been moved/merged or renamed. No other forum I know of merges/moves/renames threads. Its considered extremely poor form by anyone who participates in internet forums. I cannot tell you how frustrating this is.

It is disrespectful to the poster to move/merge/rename a thread started. What my title is not good enough? What the forum I placed it in is not correct? When merged it may or may not be relevant to the thread merged into.

People follow and participate in threads they see and recognize. That means the title and location needs to be consistent. So what if there are 10 other similar threads? Each thread eventually fades out anyway. When a thread is merged/moved/renamed, that reference is gone. Its like going into someone else's house and rearranging everything while the owner is away...."who moved my shoes that I left by the front door this morning" etc. Get the point?

It is difficult to find information in threads that are dozens then hundreds of pages long, no none has that level of interest or time. Is it the goal of this place to have only a handful of specific threads that will become megathreads? I know the search function works well here, that's not the point. How many times will merging threads happen before they are 1,000,000 posts long? That is a ridiculous proposition and what is the purpose?

Respectfully.
Hm. Interesting take on things. I am new to forums; this is the only one I am or have ever been a member of, so I have ZERO experience. That being said, I get why threads are merged. It keeps like topics together and lessens the chance that the same things are said over and over again, though I know that happens as well. I have noticed that when my new thread gets merged, I am able to scroll back through the thread that it got moved to and it generally answers my question as well as gives me much more information than I thought I needed.
I guess I could go either way, but I'm kind of used to the topics being grouped.

Last edited:

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the consideration. Efficiency is what the Elio is all about right? that includes admins time.

One of the forums I belong to has well over 10,000 members and has been around for nearly 15 years. Millions of posts. Hundreds of thousands of threads, none are merged. Threads are rename-able by the original poster (OP) if necessary. I fully expect Elioowners.com to be at this level sooner than later and cannot imagine someone spending the time/effort to merge threads with that kind of volume.

See the "Garage Forum" at 914world.com to see what I am talking about.

Top Bottom