• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Good Forum Manners

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get (in theory) why this is going on, but there has to be a limit.
The current method of categorizing posts is becoming a crazy entry barrier for new users.

I just logged onto the site for the first time in awhile (not a new user) and conversations are still going on in the same threads as over 1, 2 ... 8 months ago, meaning that if I want to catch up on 'current' events, I have to wade through an enormous amount of posts.

The top post on general discussion, for example, has 86 pages of replies at 10 replies per page, that's 860 posts to read through. Granted, I'm not starting at 0 because in theory I've read a good part of them already, but I know the attitude tends to be "use the search feature before talking about something so we don't repeat the same things"
Which basically means that a new user should just read hundreds of posts on a given topic before actually engaging with anyone.

I'm aware that the alternative is some level of fragmentation where the same topics get re-hashed, but these threads are getting insane.

Say I was a new user and wanted to learn about / discuss the engine. The posts on that thread start nearly an entire year ago, with pages and pages of speculation about things that may not even be relevant anymore. It feels like after a certain point threads should be locked and/or allowed to die so that current information isn't buried.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get (in theory) why this is going on, but there has to be a limit.
The current method of categorizing posts is becoming a crazy entry barrier for new users.

I just logged onto the site for the first time in awhile (not a new user) and conversations are still going on in the same threads as over 1, 2 ... 8 months ago, meaning that if I want to catch up on 'current' events, I have to wade through an enormous amount of posts.

The top post on general discussion, for example, has 86 pages of replies at 10 replies per page, that's 860 posts to read through. Granted, I'm not starting at 0 because in theory I've read a good part of them already, but I know the attitude tends to be "use the search feature before talking about something so we don't repeat the same things"
Which basically means that a new user should just read hundreds of posts on a given topic before actually engaging with anyone.

I'm aware that the alternative is some level of fragmentation where the same topics get re-hashed, but these threads are getting insane.

Say I was a new user and wanted to learn about / discuss the engine. The posts on that thread start nearly an entire year ago, with pages and pages of speculation about things that may not even be relevant anymore. It feels like after a certain point threads should be locked and/or allowed to die so that current information isn't buried.

Prepare to be merged. This is the exact same thread as "Good Forum Manners-What's an Elio?" started just today, I believe, by Craig (screen name).

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hm. Interesting take on things. I am new to forums; this is the only one I am or have ever been a member of, so I have ZERO experience. That being said, I get why threads are merged. It keeps like topics together and lessons the chance that the same things are said over and over again, thought I know that happens as well. I have noticed that when my new thread gets merged, I am able to scroll back through the thread that it got moved to and it generally answers my question as well as gives me much more information than I thought I needed.
I guess I could go either way, but I'm kind of used to the topics being grouped.
I'm with CompTrex on this. This is also my first forum experience and I actually appreciate the fact that threads are moved and merged. I have been on this forum since March 4 and am the most active poster. I find the way this forum is run both helpful and interesting. I'm sure someone who has had many years of experience will prefer things being done the way they are used to but I hope we don't change simply because someone new wants things done they way they have always experienced them. Of course, as always, that is my very biased and totally not the least bit humble opinion. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used message boards and internet forums going back to the dial-up BBS days and as such have experienced forums managed in many different ways mostly depending on what the membership wishes to see happen. I have been a member of several large forums where members are either not allowed to make new threads or new threads must be approved by a moderator and have also been a member of other forums where members can do whatever they wish with little or no moderation at all. There really is no right or wrong way to moderate a forum as each forum is different. There is also no one way which will please everyone all the time as each member brings with them different experience and expectations.

As a moderator I can only base my actions on the feedback I receive from members and so far the feedback I have seen on this forum has been overwhelmingly in support of larger threads on broader topics, keeping the board as organized as possible, and maintaining clearly labeled threads. I do encourage this conversation to continue and encourage members to continue to share with us how they wish to see this forum managed as ultimately the moderators are simply here to make this forum more enjoyable for the members.

By the way nobody should take threads being moved/merged/renamed as anything personal or commentary on the quality of the thread at all. I honestly rarely even notice the name of the thread creator whenever I am performing these functions. :)

P.S. Yes I did merge the "Thread Merging" threads. :D

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have used message boards and internet forums going back to the dial-up BBS days and as such have experienced forums managed in many different ways mostly depending on what the membership wishes to see happen. I have been a member of several large forums where members are either not allowed to make new threads or new threads must be approved by a moderator and have also been a member of other forums where members can do whatever they wish with little or no moderation at all. There really is no right or wrong way to moderate a forum as each forum is different. There is also no one way which will please everyone all the time as each member brings with them different experience and expectations.

As a moderator I can only base my actions on the feedback I receive from members and so far the feedback I have seen on this forum has been overwhelmingly in support of larger threads on broader topics, keeping the board as organized as possible, and maintaining clearly labeled threads. I do encourage this conversation to continue and encourage members to continue to share with us how they wish to see this forum managed as ultimately the moderators are simply here to make this forum more enjoyable for the members.

By the way nobody should take threads being moved/merged/renamed as anything personal or commentary on the quality of the thread at all. I honestly rarely even notice the name of the thread creator whenever I am performing these functions. :)

P.S. Yes I did merge the "Thread Merging" threads. :D

I agree! If done in moderation. :rolleyes:

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also am new to all this, I didn't know what a forum was 'till I stumbled upon the Elio and this site, but I sure am enjoying it, and appreciate the time the moderators take to make sure all goes well. I can't help but wonder how things will change when we finally get our Elios and become Elio OWNERS and can actually talk about our experiences with this amazing vehicle.

Top Bottom