• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Great Wheels............

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Love the wheels...................the price not so much..... :)

http://www.greenerideal.com/vehicles/1114-three-wheel-electric-vehicles/
Alias.jpg

Last edited:

quarkdude

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked the above 3 wheeler up and it is the ALIAS and it is an electric vehicle. About 85mph top speed. Price: $38,500. Ouch

quarkdude

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that the Elio can go approx 107 mph top speed which gives the 75 mph to 85 mph speed limit a pretty good window without being maxed out in rpm

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This car looks really cool but once you start reading the details you realize that looks are pretty much all it has going for it. It suffers from the usual problem with electric cars, cost too much (nearly $40K) and has a limited useful range (100 miles) before you can't use them for hours as they recharge. To add insult to injury it is supposed to be built in China.

The beauty of the Elio is that it is not trying to do too much. It is a basic car which holds two people, gets awesome fuel mileage, and is low enough in cost that most American families could afford to own one. Even better those same American families are the ones designing and assembling along with manufacturing most of its components.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I found a similar vehicle apparently being developed in Portland, OR in 2011 by Green Lite Motors. The description almost made me car sick because the body swayed like a motorcycle apparently does. I can see that in an open bike but am not too sure how it would feel in an enclosed environment. Their projected price was $28,900 and 100 mph. It was electric.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two overwhelming problems with an electric are range and price. Range limitations have you spending most of your time looking at your state of charge and mentally calculating whether you can get home or not. Fine, if there were quick chargers on every street corner like gas stations, but they're not. As your battery pack ages, it will store less energy, meaning that 90-mile range could become 60 in a couple of years.

That leads to the second problem - that battery pack is going to be expensive. Whether it's by gradual loss of capacity, or sudden failure, you are going to be out of pocket some big bucks at some undetermined point in the future. Renault has a pretty nifty solution for that, introduced in their Twizy. You buy the car (about $12K), but lease the battery pack monthly. That way, if your battery goes flat, the company comes out and changes it at no charge (well, hopefully the battery's charged). Free road service, free boosts, even free towing is part of the deal. While the Twizy isn't my idea of a proper car (it's strictly an urban electric), that battery lease is a great idea that would cover many of my concerns with an electric vehicle.

But for most EVs, there's that fixed cost of the battery on the initial purchase . . . but that's not the only problem; weight is a big design problem. A battery that will give 100 mile range is going to be heavy. Li-Ions are lighter, but more expensive, so you choose your poison. Added weight in the battery compartment translates to a heavier frame, bigger motor, beefed-up suspension components, bigger brakes . . . and the list goes on. Pretty soon you've arrived at a Tesla - big bucks, but still not a vehicle you can take cross-country. That's a severe limitation for a car that costs me $75K+ just to put on the road.

Elio has an elegant solution: light weight, gasoline engine, efficient aero, and a friendly price. Nuff said.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The exposed rear wheel offers an attractive option to the enclosed Elio black panel. Wonder how the Elio would look with the configuration

Top Bottom