• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Grinnall Scorpion

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
if this is going to be a COMMUTING VEHICLE

what are the typical speeds in the HOV lanes ??

if this is a NEV, then 35 MPH is fine to go get groceries …

AMERICAN BUYERS WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH A SLUG !!

that is why I think a higher price with acceptable performance is better than a budget price with piss-poor performance …

I still have three Corbin Sparrows, which (because of battery technology) did NOT have a useful range, but they DID HAVE PERFORMANCE !

those little buggers would zoom right up to 75 MPH !

what good is a commuting vehicle which will not be able to maintain traffic flow in the HOV lane ?

I am retired, this island speed limit is 25 MPH, I just want the enclosed a/c part of the picture …but if I were in Florida on I95 you better be able to maintain 75 MPH

minimum !!
The Elio can go 107. It's estimated performance is the same as a Focus, Civic, etc. I'm not seeing a huge issue here.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ELIO does not need all that fancy performance stuff . It is a economy vehicle . The more you hot rod high tech it the more it cost. We have enough High tech stuff. We are waiting for a low cost quality high MPG vehicle that is easy to maintain.
ELIO keep it simple

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
ELIO does not need all that fancy performance stuff . It is a economy vehicle . The more you hot rod high tech it the more it cost. We have enough High tech stuff. We are waiting for a low cost quality high MPG vehicle that is easy to maintain.
ELIO keep it simple

Luckily Elio Motors does understand they are a startup with limited funds to work with so they do stay focused on keeping it simple and focus on getting what they need to have done to get this vehicle into production. EM does not even spend money designing most of the options they will include as these are up to the suppliers to work on and submit to Elio Motors for approval.

We see plenty of suggestions from well meaning people here however what happens here really has no bearing on what EM does other than they do sometimes check in to get general ideas of what is going on out here in Elio enthusiast land.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Grinall is a well established model, I am quite familiar with it from the UK kit car scene. However, it's not a practical commuting machine and its rear wheel drive. To make the Elio like a Grinall would make it a completely different type of vehicle and much more expensive than $6800.

I own a Suzuki Swift 1.0, powered by the G10 engine. It's heavier and aerodynamically more draggy than the Elio prototypes, which are powered by the same engine and it has no problem keeping up with, and overtaking traffic. It will easily do 90 mph. However, the speed limit for 80 miles of my 90 mile daily commute is 50 mph, with average speed cameras. My present commuter car will do 154 mph, it's a waste, tbh. The Elio will do the job much more efficiently and I would buy one. I wouldn't buy a Grinall to drive to work.

Top Bottom