• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hacking Into New Cars

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The more complicated the system, the more failure modes are created. Keep it simple. Keep it cost effective.
The topic is hacking into a car; try to keep up ..........;) Not talking about costs or what's in the Elio, or fail points. It's how controllable a car is by an outside source.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to this technology there is no security only an elusion of some level of it. No system can't be hack it is just a madder of when and who will do it. We have seen this over and over.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to this technology there is no security only an elusion of some level of it. No system can't be hack it is just a madder of when and who will do it. We have seen this over and over.
Cars used didn't used to be as accessible as they are now; before the computer systems could only be "hacked" if you were plugged into them.
Now (well from about 2012 up) they are using more "by wire" features; things like throttle by wire, suspension by wire, steering by wire, climate controls by wire (those have been by wire probably the longest) so by tying those systems into a central computer system the automakers have created holes.
They need to separate control systems; one for climate and infotainment the other for car functionality; the later would have to be a "sealed" system and not have any access to a wireless part of the car.
The car makers treat it like it's not an attractive enough target for trolls, so they put security on a back burner until something bad happens; then they'll start addressing it.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My daily drive cars are so old, not only do they not have any computers, they don't even have transistors. The radios are tubes.

So how do all-electric vehicles pay taxes to help pay for upkeep of the roads? They don't pay any gasoline tax. Do they pay an extra fee at registration? Are their OBDs read to find the number of miles driven and a highway tax is assessed accordingly?

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Smitty. There is no system that can't be hacked. My youngest son has an uncanny ability with computers. He's one of the good guys and works to protect us and our country. Worked for the NSA. Part of his job was to try to hack into government sites to test their security. If the program was written and developed by man it can be broken by man.

The never ending struggle of good vs evil.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a video on how hackers from 10 miles away basically shut down a Jeep and sent it into a ditch.
On the internet distance doesn't matter; they could have been 5,000 miles away and still do the same thing.

Hopefully this will put out a wake up call to all of the car companies to start doing something now!! rather than after it happens in the "wild"

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and this is why I will keep Cars around without this kind of technology as long as I humanly can.

Seriously thinking since most of the parts in my Sunfire have a lifetime warranty (AC, Alternator, Axles, Brakes...) I may just pick up a spare motor and stash it. I mean I can get a motor for $500 and I've already ripped out the transmission before. with an air ratchet pretty easy job.

And simply buy an Elio and park the Sunfire for the absolute worst nature has to offer

Top Bottom