• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Has Any Progress Been Made With The Plant?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Market study? Ten thousand reservations appears to be a pretty good start. I guess they are shooting for a much larger ELIO market than originally anticipated?

The number of initial production lines will be dependent on the result of the market study. If the MS shows there isn't much interest beyond the 10k, they'll fold. If the MS shows potentially 100k first year sales, they'll design the plant to accommodate that production throughput. So yes, an official market study is necessary.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The number of initial production lines will be dependent on the result of the market study. If the MS shows there isn't much interest beyond the 10k, they'll fold. If the MS shows potentially 100k first year sales, they'll design the plant to accommodate that production throughput. So yes, an official market study is necessary.

If what you say about the 10k and the 100K has merit, nothing short of a direct marketing program will get it done. They need to let the people who get the cars at first, go out and advertise and demonstrate the car everywhere they go if they want, and get a commission for each one they refer to the company site or store. There are no stores in Montana, however, if someone in Montana buys a car they can show it off and help get the word out.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They need a 'market study' to determine the long term requirements, not just the 'early adopters'. Many people stated that they are WAITING until production begins, or they can 'test drive' one. You don't want to gear your production lines and trained employees to fill all the orders in the first 1/2 year.... then have to 'cut back' the workforce or shifts, for the remainder of the year.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think they have to reach that high a number to get the project into production. One big reason is they are not re-inventing the wheel. A lot of the components that they will be using are currently in use. The big test is for them to first come up with the final production design w/ the IAV in place, pass the crash test and meet the 4 "musts" and you can bet the reservations will hit 10 folds! Their latest tech talk says their testing already achieved 81. mpg!!! That's only 3 measly miles to their goal. Personally at this point, I really don't care if the final cost exceeds $6,800. Get it done and I'll buy it. But that's just me.:cool:

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If what you say about the 10k and the 100K has merit, nothing short of a direct marketing program will get it done. They need to let the people who get the cars at first, go out and advertise and demonstrate the car everywhere they go if they want, and get a commission for each one they refer to the company site or store. There are no stores in Montana, however, if someone in Montana buys a car they can show it off and help get the word out.

I have no idea of the trigger numbers they'd be looking for after a market survey, just making a point. A referral program would be a very good marketing strategy on their part, even if offered only to those who were 'all-in' at any level of investment.

Thomas Skaggs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, jtmarten. I was trying to post to the Welcome forum, but keep getting an error "invalid message". What am I doing wrong? Can't start a conversation either. Any help would be appreciated.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi, jtmarten. I was trying to post to the Welcome forum, but keep getting an error "invalid message". What am I doing wrong? Can't start a conversation either. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know. You just go into the forum of interest, click 'Post New Thread' in the upper right corner. If it won't allow you to start a thread, but allows you to post to existing threads, I'd contact the forum administrator and inquire about it.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Slated to begin production in the fourth quarter of 2014 and available in the U.S. by the first quarter of 2015"

Is that production year or calendar year?

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My research lead me to one named "supplier', and they said that 'they have not talked to Elio for years'...is that normal for something this close to production?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Slated to begin production in the fourth quarter of 2014 and available in the U.S. by the first quarter of 2015"

Is that production year or calendar year?

Calendar; otherwise they'll be released in the next month or so with all the other 2015 models.

Top Bottom