• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hello From Europe

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
62 mile range? That's less than one gallon of gas in the Elio. No trunk space at all that I can see. Is it legal in the states? Has it been crash tested, what were the results? And it's more expensive.

It's a neat idea but it doesn't seem to stand up to the projected features of the Elio. But I guess since it's apparently available now it does have that on its side. But I'm doubtful its legal on American streets.

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
62 mile range? That's less than one gallon of gas in the Elio. No trunk space at all that I can see. Is it legal in the states? Has it been crash tested, what were the results? And it's more expensive.

It's a neat idea but it doesn't seem to stand up to the projected features of the Elio. But I guess since it's apparently available now it does have that on its side. But I'm doubtful its legal on American streets.

Apparently they think so here:

http://sam-of-usa.com/

I used their calculator and at 84MPG and local electric supply costs, the Elio is less costly to operate until gasoline is over $2.20/gal. (right after the election). And I don't think the SAM has A/C... :party:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like this small print they have down the page

*Starting MSRP excludes options, battery pack, destination/delivery charge, taxes, registration fee

That will make a huge difference if you can get it imported. It doesn't appear to meet street legal features.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once you add the car and the 60 mile range battery pack (late this they'll have a pack that can go 100 miles), the cost is over $12,000. Almost twice a base Elio.

P.S. Took another look at the website, the 60 mile battery pack is $3,750. For a hundred mile pack it'll cost $5,750.

Last edited:

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this small print they have down the page

*Starting MSRP excludes options, battery pack, destination/delivery charge, taxes, registration fee

That will make a huge difference if you can get it imported. It doesn't appear to meet street legal features.

Great catch Coss - OMG, "Batteries Not Included!" :rofl:

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do recognize that vehicles like the SAM make a lot of sense in dense European and Pacific Rim cities with extremely narrow streets, limited parking, >$6/gal fuel costs and usually nominal 220V supply available to power chargers.
Here, as when I ride a motorcycle, I would have worries of someone parking a SUV or pick-um-up on me.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they've seen all the hits EM is getting on their site and commercials being aired, and decided to capitalize on it. Why else would you use the name of a vehicle that isn't even in production yet on your website. The only thing they have in common is three wheels.

Top Bottom