• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hesitations About Using The Elio As My Only Car???

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody have any information on insurance? Right now, it has not yet been defined officially as a car or motorcycle as far as I know. I need to be able to register and insure it when the time comes and I don't want to be hit with a surprise insurance price.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody have any information on insurance? Right now, it has not yet been defined officially as a car or motorcycle as far as I know. I need to be able to register and insure it when the time comes and I don't want to be hit with a surprise insurance price.
Take a picture of it along with the specs and show your insurance people, then let us know what they said.
Thanks

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm willing to let go of our 2 cars as soon as it proves reliable and comfortable, the big test will be my long drive from the factory to home base 1,780 miles and I'm planning to push it hard to it's limits! I'm all for less dependence on foreign oil and willing to compromise. My wife and I travel a lot but we use rent a car so luggage won't be an issue. After that "big test", we'll sell our 2 cars for another Elio!;)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
0.jpg

I hope to pull something like this with my Elio to meat up with son and grand-kids camping and fishing 100 miles one way. This is an Evo-pod, Mini-Micro Camper, for motorcycles.
I looked this up but could not find anything about price or weight. I know the Mini Mate tent trailer I have in mind weighs less than 300 pounds empty and costs $2995. It takes something like 2 minutes to set up which means for me about 5 minutes. LOL And of course I would want to paint it to match Zelio. :-)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am planning on having the Elio as my only car. At first I thought of keeping my 1999 Toyota Camry but I really do not want to pay insurance on two cars plus a car payment on the Elio. That would be a stretch for me.

I read or heard somewhere on the Elio website (I have read, seen, and heard so many things since I first saw the Elio I can't keep track) that the marketing department is triaging (their word) all states to get the Elio designated as either a car or another type of vehicle altogether (not a motorcycle and not a car). I think they said something about a reverse trike called a Cam that is designated separately. The question is do we start rocking the boat now so the states and insurance companies get their acts together or do we wait to see what Elio accomplishes.

Another issue I have is this. I live in a state without sales tax. I have been told if I buy anything in Washington all I have to do is show my Oregon drivers license and I will not be charged tax. So, if I pick up my car in Shreveport will Louisiana want me to pay their sales tax? The same is true for the Mini Mate tent trailer I want to pick up in Pennsylvania. And I will definitely want insurance and license for both before heading back across the country. Hmmmmmm this is getting very complex. Maybe it is simply too much to worry about this late on a Friday afternoon one year in advance. LOL

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is Friday afternoon. JP probably wasn't even able to get a response from his insurance agent (unless they are relatives). :)

I'm currently at college. My grandma just retired from insurance after 40 years so I'm going to ask her for a rough ballpark estimate since it is technically a motorcycle. I will talk to my actual insurance agent when I am home though and post the feedback

Top Bottom