• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hey...i Can See My House From Here!

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You needed this like you needed another hole in the head! Looking back, on the 27th, you had 1.57", on the 28th, 0.12", on the 29th, 1.06", then on the 30th it was a whopping 4.37" (!!!), and then on the 1st, another 0.75", 2nd, 0.03", and on the third of May, your local volunteer went dark; I would assume that his site went under water. Gad! And the hell of it was that for the 30th (actually, mostly the 29th, as the reporting time is 0700), just about all of the state got a huge dumping. If you care to look over the map, here's the link. You can use the date box to move through the information. Looks like your local guy (MO-FR-17) is on McHugh Drive...

http://data.cocorahs.org/cocorahs/maps/?country=usa&state=mo

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when the last flood hit our son was still out there and had to go to heck and gone to get to and from work

During the Flood of 93, I remember one of our port engineers saying that his daily drive had gone from 40 miles one way to something like 120 miles...
Kev, how bad did 1993 affect you in Pacific?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You needed this like you needed another hole in the head! Looking back, on the 27th, you had 1.57", on the 28th, 0.12", on the 29th, 1.06", then on the 30th it was a whopping 4.37" (!!!), and then on the 1st, another 0.75", 2nd, 0.03", and on the third of May, your local volunteer went dark; I would assume that his site went under water. Gad! And the hell of it was that for the 30th (actually, mostly the 29th, as the reporting time is 0700), just about all of the state got a huge dumping. If you care to look over the map, here's the link. You can use the date box to move through the information. Looks like your local guy (MO-FR-17) is on McHugh Drive...

http://data.cocorahs.org/cocorahs/maps/?country=usa&state=mo

There is [maybe was] a river level gauge about 100' downstream from a friend of mine's river lot [JEBar and him have met on the trap range], but hasn't been giving up any data the last couple of days. Might be floating down the Mississippi River by now. And "yes", I think we've put a big dent in the water deficit the weatherman kept harping on for the last few months.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
During the Flood of 93, I remember one of our port engineers saying that his daily drive had gone from 40 miles one way to something like 120 miles...
Kev, how bad did 1993 affect you in Pacific?

No impact at all here on the Meramec River in '93. But the Missouri and Mississippi were destructive monsters that year. If I remember right all the rainfall was up north rather than coming up from the south like this last storm. The Meramec River tracks roughly along I-44 and dumps into the Mississippi south of St. Louis.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I take it you are still high and dry. Well, dry at least. Is that correct? I hope so. We haven't worked on pontoons for your Elio yet.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I take it you are still high and dry. Well, dry at least. Is that correct? I hope so. We haven't worked on pontoons for your Elio yet.

We'll be 'A' Okay as soon as the water table drops...and I install another sump at the east end of the basement. It's been two hrs. on, two hrs. off shifts for the wife and I on Shopvac duty. Other than a half dozen lifted tiles, no damage at all. My empathy goes out to the folks on the other side of the tracks that worked hard to get their houses back to normal from 15 months ago only to have the river come up and destroy them again. Very sad indeed. The local news mentioned that the last time Eureka [downstream from Pacific] got flooded as bad as it did this year was back in '82. They're blaming it on the Corp of Engineers levies that they built in Valley Park [downstream from Eureka]. They might actually have something there!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was at Minot when they flooded and know how that hits a community. After the Katrina debacle, FEMA didn't want to have tons of abused trailers (seriously, some of the families who used those trailers totally destroyed them - no respect - no appreciation). They went to Minot to Rent available space to loan out to families in need. They also set up shelters. One family stayed in a shelter. There were no rental units available for FEMA to rent because of the oil boom and yet not one family ended up homeless. Everyone was taken in by neighbors and strangers alike. It was incredible. I helped 3 families move out of the flood zone (30' enclosed car hauler of mine put into service). One year after, people have rebuilt, the river is managed better, and the recovery was great. I remember for the 1 year anniversary, there was a parade in New Orleans for the flooded neighborhoods. I remember a woman holding up a sign that said "Where is my money?"

The difference in how the two communities approached those two floods was huge. Minot fixed and took care of each other rather than complaining about not getting more handouts. ANYWAY, I hope your community bands together and helps each other out and doesn't sit around waiting on tax payers to foot the bill. I would hope that everyone there has flood insurance - especially since there was flooding already. I sure would have it!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A car dealership in town [Dave Sinclair Ford] is having "The Raminator" [Monster Truck] do a show in town and all the proceeds go to the flood victims. Kind of strange because Bigfoot is just a couple blocks away from the dealership in Pacific...and Bigfoot's a Ford [sort of].

http://www.raminator.com/show.htm

Aah! Bigfoot is out of town this weekend! That explains it!

http://bigfoot4x4.com/events/index.html

Anyway, my grandsons are going to love it! :bounce:

Top Bottom